Pre-1997 Models

95 F150 stuck in park, any ideas????

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 95 F150 stuck in park, any ideas????

I'm new here, and desperate for information. Here's my problem:

I have a 95 F150, V-6, Automatic, 2WD and it won't release from park.
Truck starts, steering wheel and front wheels turn.

I had this problem once before, and it was apparently caused by a hard short. When I pressed the brake to shift our of park the ABS light would flash. I found the cyclopse brake light was burned out, causing the short and blowing the fuse. Replaced the bulb and the fuse, and that freed it up to shift out of park.

This time, the ABS doesn't flash, the lights are all working, and all of the fuses test good. I'm clueless.

Any suggestions where to go from here????

Old 04-04-2004, 05:53 PM
V-6??? In a 95?

If there is voltage at the interlock solenoid when the pedal is depressed, you have a malfunctioning shift lock actuator. If there is no voltage, you have a wiring problem. I don't have a wiring diagram for a 95 but on a 96 it's the light green wire leading to the shift lock actuator. The other wire (white/purple) is a "hot in run" 12v source. Just trace the circuit. You have power at the fuse. Do you have power at the input of the BOO (Brake on/off) switch? When you depress the brake pedal do you get power out of the switch? Do you have power at the inlet of the shift lock actuator when the pedal is depressed? Do you have a good ground at the actuator?

Old 04-04-2004, 06:21 PM
Um, ok, lets see....
First off I'll have to go thru my Haynes Manual to find every one of the things you mentioned. (I'm a dummy when it comes to this stuff)
I'll check them all, and let you know what I find.
I'm so lost, I'm ready to scream.
I'll try checking them all (If I can figure out how)

Do they make a "Ford's for Dummies" book?
Thanks
Leesa

Old 04-04-2004, 07:45 PM
Where do you live?

Old 04-04-2004, 07:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turn the key foward one click....so the ignition isnt on. Put it in netural then start the truck.

Its a quick fix but itll work.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-19-2004, 09:40 PM
Exclamation Same thing

I have the exact same problem with my 1997 F150. So... What's the solution? I am currently doing the work around 'trick' of turning the key to the first position and shifting to Neutral.

My problem however, started one day when I started my truck and stepped on the brake to shift out of park. There was smoke coming out from under the hood. Ended up being my Brake Pressue Switch (located on top of the master cylinder). I just replaced it - expecting things to go back to normal.... no dice.

Any other suggestions on the real fix to the problem?

I appreciate everyone's experience (seemingly common....)

Thanks!!

Old 06-03-2004, 10:44 PM
check out cnady's post .this has happened to me before & it was the switch located above the brake pedal...... good luck

Old 06-04-2004, 09:01 PM
Thumbs up

That did the trick!! Thanks. First I replaced the Brake Pressure Swich - then the Brake switch on the pedal. All is well with the world now!

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-13-2004, 12:53 PM
Hard shift/won't shift

I had the exact same problem with our '97 F-150. It was really hard to shift out of park for awhile, if you pressed very hard on the brakes, it would shift. After awhile, I was unable to shift out of park at all. I would tell my husband I couldn't shift, he would get in and shift it out of park, no problem. (He can push a lot harder than me.) I thought we had a serious problem with our transmission, or the steering column. Anyway, finally he started having the same trouble, and even he was eventually unable to shift it from park. (As the other post in this thread says, turn the key forward one notch, put it in neutral, then start it up works.) I called the Ford dealership, and for about $250.00 they could fix us right up. My husband went to the parts store, and for about .17 cents, fixed the brake sensor, and all has been well since.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Where is the brake switch on top of the pedal, and the one above the brake master cylinder?

Quick Reply: 95 F150 stuck in park, any ideas????