Pre-1997 Models

Auburn or Eaton 8.8 LS - best price SoCal?

Old 04-01-2004, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Auburn or Eaton 8.8 LS - best price SoCal?

Just blew up my rear differential! Hole through the case and everything, very spectacular.

Anyway, where is the best (cheapest) place to buy a replacement here in SoCal? I need a Ford 8.8 limited slip, preferably Auburn or Eaton, but open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Old 04-02-2004, 06:55 PM
I would get an Eaton. I heard the Auburn cones wear too quickly. Most of my knowledge comes from my stang, don't know how different it is for trucks. Cheapest place would probably be mail order.

Old 04-07-2004, 10:01 PM
Have you considered the factory Ford Limited Slip Diff ? Shoot me an email if have any questions about it . I can also put you in touch with someone that has real good deals on them brand new from Ford Racing . I have one in my truck and it works great .

Old 04-08-2004, 03:24 PM
Thanks. I'll hafta figure out exactly what I need. For my config (S-cab, 5.0, E4OD) I'd have the 31-spline diff, correct?

Well...back to the trenches...

Old 04-08-2004, 05:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Me personally, I would put a spool in it... I would also ditch the 8.8....

However.... For the 8.8 get an eaton. I smoked an auburn within a year in my lightning and I broke the stock trac lock twice.

Old 04-08-2004, 08:21 PM
Smile LS and gears ordered kinda cheap!

I just ordered my replacement diff and gears, and got a pretty good price. I found the place through eBay, where they have this ad:

Eaton LS complete gear package

...and their home page is www.drivetrain.com

Since I'm on a budget, I went with the Ford LS (Trac Lok) for $65 cheaper. The whole package price came to $475, and includes: ring+pinyon, complete diff, bearings, setup kit (seals, crush collar, gasket, and some other stuff). Came to a bit over $500 shipped to my door.

Now I have to take it to the mechanic who tried to sell me a rebuilt Trac Lok for $850 WITHOUT the gears!!!

Old 04-10-2004, 09:12 PM
I WOULD GO WITH THE EATON ALSO I HAD ONE INSTALLED AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM http://www.chrismans.com/ THATS THE CHEAPEST I HAVE FOUND

Old 04-14-2004, 07:59 AM
I will be having my rear diff completely rebuilt in about 1-2 months, so I have been pricing, comparing parts for a while. We have a couple really good shops around here that rebuild 1 a day not counting repairs, they set up customs, build ups for race cars etc. They both say the same thing. If it was a gm rear end they would recommend the eaton, auburn or detroit but that the ford limited slip is better and what I should put in my truck hands down, they swear its that good and will last longer, so thats what I'm gonna go with.
Currently have 3:55 with an open rear end. Going with 4:10, ford limited slip unit and a complete master install
Without the limited slip $600-$625 for a complete build, an extra $355 for the ford limited slip unit.
Just thought I would pass the info along.

Old 04-14-2004, 03:26 PM
I think the complaint about the stock Ford unit is that it comes with only 3 clutch plates per axle, so they wear out. You can add a plate to each side and make it bomb-proof.

If I had the cash right now, I'd go for the Torsen. They seem to be only a few bucks more than the Eaton, and should never wear out. Also, they have a smooth action, unlike a limited-slip.

Anyway, thanks, guys! Got all my parts, and am headed to the mechanic today.

Old 04-16-2004, 09:37 PM
I don't like the Auburn as it can't be rebuilt in the vehicle. My Eaton LSD can be as is upgradable with heavier preload springs.

$500 shipped for a Trac-Lok, gears, and an install kit is kinda high.

Used Trac-Loks here are maybe $50 and a $60 rebuild kit gives them 8 clutches. FMS gears I can get for about $140 new and the install kit I paid $90 for.

I shelled out about $325 for my Eaton from 589 Gear on ebay.

That LSD far out performs the factory Ford unit but that factory Ford one isn't too bad with a good rebuild. The OE GM G80 locking diff that's in my Z71 is trash. It uses a counter weight that has to spin at a given RPM for the carrier to lock then after abou 30mph it unlocks. hahaha

Old 04-21-2004, 05:48 PM
Re: LS and gears ordered kinda cheap!

Originally posted by Tom Kenney

Now I have to take it to the mechanic who tried to sell me a rebuilt Trac Lok for $850 WITHOUT the gears!!!
I would never do that! Don't bring your stuff to him, since he could'nt scam you on a diff, then he'll certainly scam you on an install.

The stock LSD is excellent with extra clutches, it seems to hold up fine to 4500-5000 rpm launches on slicks

Last edited by Mike12pt; 04-21-2004 at 05:54 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auburn or Eaton 8.8 LS - best price SoCal?