Pre-1997 Models

85 wipers only work on high

Old 03-22-2004, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 wipers only work on high

My windshield wipers only work on the high setting, not on the low or on any of the intermittant settings.

Anybody know if this is this a switch problem, a motor problem, or something else?

Thanks!

Old 03-26-2004, 04:33 PM
thats funny.
I have an 83 and just the other day my wipers would not work on low (I do not have intermitent). So I put them on hi and they worked and then figured I would try low. It worked. turned off and tryed low again but did not work. I have to put on hi then go to low.
My guess would be switch. That it what I am going to try first when I get some free time and find my spare switch.

Old 03-28-2004, 02:10 AM
My experience with ford wiper has been when u dont have low speeds its the motor. If I were you I would tap on the wiper motor when you have the wipers switch in the low position. I bet they start working. Ford uses a double brushed motor on their wipers. So just because you have high doesnt mean the motor is good. Just the high side is good. Hope that helps.

Old 03-28-2004, 07:26 PM
High Wipers Only

I have a 1990 F-150 and had this same problem. I think intermitten went out first, then low speed went and eventually high went out too. There is a governor, some people would prefer to call it a wiper control module, located under the dash near the emerg. brake that controls the speeds of the wipers, on a '90 anyway. You might check to see if your model has one. If it does it would probably be worth checking. It's a little black box looking thingy with an electrical plug and one hex head small screw that holds it in place.

Old 04-01-2004, 11:23 AM
I haven't fixed my wipers yet (88 F-250), but at another web site a post said to go into that little black box and there will be a broken solder joint due to vibration. Solder it back up, and you're in business.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:58 PM
Thumbs up 1990 XLT F150 4x4 Intermittent wipers only works on high

After replacing the $65 intermittent switch, my wipers still only worked on high. I checked the internet, and thanks to this forum I found the problem in the Wiper control module. It's the little black box about 1.5"Hx2"Wx2"L located above the parking brake to the left of the fuse box (facing front). remove the fuse box cover, remove the light and wiper *****. Remove the LH dash panel by pulling at the 4 corners. Unplug the Front/Rear Tank selector switch and set the panel aside. Remove the 4 screws securing the headlight and wiper switch bracket. Remove the single screw securing the wiper control module (under the dash, above parking brake) and pull it through the opening made by removing the light/wiper switch braket. Take the bracket off of the control module and remove the casing. There will be a metal tower looking thing (heat sink) with a diode attached. The solder joints were broken (can tell that by wiggling the heat sink slightly, and the ring around the solder pads on the backside of the PCB). Re-solder the 3 points and make sure you bridge any traces that are broken on the PCB. 2 of the solder joints attach to the heat sink and the 3rd will be on the diode itself. Re-assemble and it should be good to go. Also... ya might want to disconnect the battery prior to starting this procedure... just in case you short something while soldering. Good luck. I hope this helps someone save $65 thinking the switch is the problem... like I did :-(. Can't return electrical parts.

Old 11-11-2006, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by Tomorover
My windshield wipers only work on the high setting, not on the low or on any of the intermittant settings.

Anybody know if this is this a switch problem, a motor problem, or something else?

Thanks!
IDK i have the same prob. with my 87', just HIGH,and my 4 other f-150's are all ok...just my main DD...haha gooo luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 85 wipers only work on high