Pre-1997 Models

Timing mark 5.0

Old 02-25-2004, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing mark 5.0

I hope this is not too dumb of a question. In checking the timing on my 89 5.0, I see the metal pointer on the timing chain cover. The front of it is like the point of a triangle with the base of triangle going across the crankshaft pully/balancer. But there is also kind of a notch on the metal pointer also, looks kind of "u" shape, like a bottle opener. There are no degree marks on pointer at all. To set timing, line up mark on crankshaft with the flat end of pointer or to the little 'notch'? Thanks.

Old 02-29-2004, 02:19 AM
Cool

The degree marks are on the balancer. They likely need to be cleaned, then using a paint stick or liquid paper etc. mark the 10 degree before top dead center on the balancer. Pull the spout connector, connect timing light and start engine. Your line should line up with the long flat edge on the pointer.

Old 03-06-2004, 03:01 PM
Thanks a bunch.

Old 03-10-2004, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by cleat
The degree marks are on the balancer. They likely need to be cleaned, then using a paint stick or liquid paper etc. mark the 10 degree before top dead center on the balancer. Pull the spout connector, connect timing light and start engine. Your line should line up with the long flat edge on the pointer.

I second the use of WhiteOut for that timing mark...makes it nice and clear to see.

Old 03-28-2004, 11:23 PM
TIMING MARK

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM ON MY 86 F150 5.0 E.F.I TRUCK BUT, WHEN I FOUND MY MARKS AND HOOKED UP THE TIMING LITE IT SHOWED MY TIMING IS 30 NOW WHAT DO I DO?

Old 03-29-2004, 11:44 AM
Pull the spout connector. It's close to the TFI module and it's a small plug connecting to two yellow wires. Pull this with engine off then start engine. It should now be at 10 degrees. What this does is disconnect the computer from your module effectively stopping any timing advance.

Old 04-04-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by cleat
Pull the spout connector. It's close to the TFI module and it's a small plug connecting to two yellow wires. Pull this with engine off then start engine. It should now be at 10 degrees. What this does is disconnect the computer from your module effectively stopping any timing advance.
ARE YOU SAYING I HAVE TO DO THIS TO CHECK THE TIMING ON MY TRUCK OR ARE YOU SAYING UNHOOKING THE SPOUT AND LEAVE IT UNHOOKED WILL MAKE MY TRUCK RUN BETTER

Old 04-04-2004, 10:37 AM
You have to pull the SPOUT connector to check or set the timing. Once the timing is correct you have to re-insert the SPOUT to actually drive the truck.

Pulling the SPOUT disables the PCM controlled portion of the ignition advance, leaving onty the base timing. It is the base timing that you must set with the timing light at 10-14° BTDC. Once the base timing is set and the SPOUT re-installed, you will have increased timing as required by load, RPM and throttle opening.

Old 04-04-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by StrangeRanger
You have to pull the SPOUT connector to check or set the timing. Once the timing is correct you have to re-insert the SPOUT to actually drive the truck.

Pulling the SPOUT disables the PCM controlled portion of the ignition advance, leaving onty the base timing. It is the base timing that you must set with the timing light at 10-14° BTDC. Once the base timing is set and the SPOUT re-installed, you will have increased timing as required by load, RPM and throttle opening.
ok i unplugged the spout and set the timing to 10 and shut the engine of rehooked the spout up and started the truck and looked at the timing and it is back at 20-30 it will go from 30- and almost 10 but it is mostly on 20-30 back and forth when it sounds like it is trying to idle down it goes to 10 degrees and then it jumps right back up to almost 30 degrees on it's own, when i first purchased this truck it showed a code 64 and i was told it may have been fixed but they just didn't erase the code so i erased the code and it went away and the lite has not came back on but my truck does chatter like it is out of time what now??

Old 04-04-2004, 02:56 PM
also

also my truck says it is equipped with EEC lV/EFI systems idle speed and idle mixture are not adjustable it says to adjust ingnition timing to 10 BTDC

Old 04-04-2004, 03:20 PM
Sounds like you've got the base timing set correctly. 10° BTDC is the factory spec, you can generally bump it up to around 14° BTDC to gain a little performance. If your idle speed is fluctuating, look for vacuum leaks and try pulling and cleaning your IAC solenoid.

Old 04-04-2004, 04:05 PM
what is a IAC and were is it located

Old 04-04-2004, 05:28 PM
It's on the side of the throttle body.

Do yourself a favor and go buy a shop manual

Old 04-04-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by StrangeRanger

I can't count how many times I've had to explain that to someone, either on the phone, online, or in person, and have never made myself sound as professional as you just did. That was really outstanding.

Just wanted to say that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing mark 5.0