Pre-1997 Models

Wanna remove my smog equip

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wanna remove my smog equip

I wanna get rid of all the smog crap under the hood. I don't think it will give me any power but it will sure help clean up the engine compartment. Just wondering if anyone has done this and if it will cause me ill wanted side affects.

I have a 92' f150, 4x4, aod, 5.0, no cats.

Old 02-23-2004, 04:29 PM
good idea! might as well throw that EFI crap away and bolt on a carburetor too.....make an adapter plate.....and i'd definitely toss the electronic ignition and put in a points type distributor. If you can find a 1968 f100 at the junk yard you could also upgrade to the non power assist front drum brakes. Good luck!

Old 02-23-2004, 05:09 PM
Helpful post Kevin! I have though about just trading up to a bicycle also.

I have also thought about removing the smog pump on my '88 5.0. Does your truck pass inspection with no cats? I'm getting my truck inspected tomorrow and will ask them. I think mine are clogged up since my MPG is down and I have 191,000 miles.
I think removing the pump and shortening the belt by only about 2-3" would do the trick. I know Jeg's has an idler pully to replace the smog pump and keep the stock belt. This idler was made for the Mustang 5.0 so I am not sure if it would fit our trucks.

Old 02-23-2004, 11:40 PM
I have been told that you will get a check engine light on if you do remove it. When my pump went bad, I removed all that stuff and have no ill effcts. On the other hand it was a lot of work. And there will be no performance gains from doing so.

Old 02-23-2004, 11:50 PM
its not worth the hassle. I did it to my last truck, and it didnt do crap. also if you DO have cats and remove the air pump, you risk clogging them up.

Old 02-24-2004, 12:34 AM
well i dont think you would clog up your cats with no airpump....my OTHER ford ( 90 thunderbird SC ) has no air pump from the factory.....no EGR either for that matter......and the cats don't clog up...... but my question is .... WHY?...what will you gain from taking all this stuff off? nothing!...

Old 02-24-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by kevenj90bronco
well i dont think you would clog up your cats with no airpump....my OTHER ford ( 90 thunderbird SC ) has no air pump from the factory.....no EGR either for that matter......and the cats don't clog up......
You are probably the only person alive that can say that. . Cats clog up without the pump. Guaranteed.

I'd leave it alone, too.

Last edited by PKRWUD; 02-24-2004 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:32 PM
many vehicles dont have an air pump, but they have a different kind of cat. if you have an air pump and disable it, the cat wont be getting the fresh air it needs to burn, and will eventually clog.

Old 02-24-2004, 04:10 PM
ok well i'll buy the possibility of a different kind of cat then, because my Tbird did not have an airpump from the factory yet it does have 2 catalytic converters. i definitely would not remove an airpump from a vehicle that has one, first of all, what's the point?....and secondly, everything is designed to work as a system...removing one part of that system probably isn't a good idea.

Old 02-25-2004, 08:04 AM
Man you guys didn't read my post! I have no cats and am not looking for any power gains. I also have BBK headers, true duals, ported heads, crane cam, blah blah blah. I just wanted to clean up the engine compartment a little. I would not take off the pump, just leave it, removing will not make any power. I am looking for whatever problems I may run into. Thanks

Oh yeah, I live in Alabama, no emissons test, no vehicle inspections. We are about 50 ys behind the rest of the states exept Miss.

And I already have a bicycle

And an old 76 torino with front drum brake, you can stand on the ground between the engine and fender and tune the carb. It's great

Old 02-25-2004, 09:27 AM
If you eliminate the smog equipment, the ECM will never be able to go into closed loop, which means you won't get the optimum performance from your parts.

Old 02-25-2004, 01:24 PM
Thats what I'm talkin bout, thanks PKRWUD, I'll leave it alone.

Old 02-25-2004, 04:30 PM
So far I havn't read one post that is fully correct, so I'll try and answer it from my experience.

First off, the smog pump has nothing to do with the engine going into open/closed loop. That is strickly controled by the ECM, and the last time I checked there was no electronics on the smog pump. Yes, there is the TAB and TAD, but as long as those are hooked up, everything runs fine.

You will need a shorter belt with the smog pump gone and plug off a couple miscelaneous vac lines, but i've noticed it really cleans up the engine compartment. However, if your looking for any powergains this is a waste of time unless your pump is siezed.

Like mentioned above, if you remove the smog pump, and not the cats, they will clog, garranteed. Since you don't have them, go ahead and rip that smog pump out. It is actually doing NO good being in there with your cats removed. They (smog pump and cats) work as a team, not independant, to make the exhaust cleaner. If you remove either one, the system no longer works.

All that you really need to keep these pre OBD-II engines running right is the PCV valve (just common sense) and the EGR. Other than that, I have all of the emissions stripped off of my truck. The EGR is the only one that can affect how the ECM thinks.

Old 02-26-2004, 11:48 AM
Well, guess I'm back to takin it off

Thanks

Old 02-27-2004, 08:22 AM
I said if you eliminate the smog equipment, not just the pump, and the egr is part of the smog equipment.

Quick Reply: Wanna remove my smog equip