Pre-1997 Models

Chrome - Steel Vs. Aluminum Wheels

Old 12-10-2003, 11:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Chrome - Steel Vs. Aluminum Wheels

Maybe you guys will have a better idea on this. I didn't get much in the Aftermarket Wheels & Tires section.

I have a set of steel chrome coated wheels now from American Racing. What I would like to know is how each one lasts over time, is there more maintenance to be done on an Aluminum wheel that is chrome coated or is the steel chrome coated more durable over time? My current maintenance schedule is a wash every week with the truck wash and about once a month a polish and wax coating. I know the Aluminum wheels are lighter and that is what I am after since I can carry two of my stock wheel/tire combos at one time but I can't do that easily with my American Racing/tire combo set, they are just that much heavier. The biggest thing is that the Aluminum chrome coated set can last as long as a steel chromed coated set can. I don't want just another set of Aluminum wheels for the truck, I think that the chrome wheels set the truck off that much better than the aluminum wheels do. You can check my website out to see pictures of both ways. Thanks inadvance for you comments.

Have Fun & Keep on Truckin'
Dean

Old 12-11-2003, 07:27 PM
the chrome with eventually start to come off and rust, but if you take care of them like you do, it should be a long time. I like aluminum, cause you can get em in chrome, polished or anodized. mine are anodized and really dont take any maintenance other than just wipen em off, downside is they arent that shiney.

Old 12-12-2003, 12:05 PM
Cool

Dave, thanks for the reply. Some of the aluminum wheels on the market are really sharp in chrome trim but that is why I am wondering about the maintenance on them. If I can get rid of about 80 - 100 lbs extra compared to my current summer combo, then that is better overall for the truck. I just don't want to spend the cash for them if the aluminum/chrome wheels don't last as long as the steel/chrome set do.

Dean

Old 12-12-2003, 07:38 PM
i would have to say that chromed aluminum would last longer than chromed steel. by how much i dont know. my boss has chromed cobra R wheels on his stang, has for about 5 years now and they look like brand new, but he polishes them every week. and he also keeps them on in the winter.

Old 12-13-2003, 12:58 AM
TF
I don't see any reason why the aluminum wouldn't last as long as the steel provided that proper maintenance was performed. I have some machined aluminum rims with a clearcoat on them. The clearcoat is great because I might wash my rims maybe once a month but the coating allows all the dirt and dust to come right off with just soap and water. Washing them every week would produce even better results. I have had my rims for about 3 years now and they are still in good condition, but I think the main thing is that there is no chrome coating, and I think that is your concern right? Are you wondering how the chrome coating will hold up or just the rim in general? I don't know about the chrome, but the rim itself should be fine.

Old 12-13-2003, 10:31 AM
Cool

I know the wheels will hold up themselves regardless of final coating but the biggest thing is that I don't want to spend cash on these wheels and have them for a couple of years of just summer cruising and the chrome starts to come off of them. I wonder if the chrome coating is covered with a coat of clearcoat or not. This would make the maintenance of the wheels even easier like TF mentioned. Damn TF, I didn't even think about that clearcoat stage. I am going to have to talk to someone now about that.

Dean

Old 12-13-2003, 10:29 PM
My wheels are just like TFs but without the holes, keeps the brake dust at bay. I rarely wash my wheels, and when i do, just a wipe down. Im no expert, but the way i see it, the aluminum should last longer because its not going to rust like the steel will. usually what happens is with chromed steel, you get a scratch and the rust will be able to start and gets under the chrome coating and just goes to town. I cant see anything like that happening with aluminum.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chrome - Steel Vs. Aluminum Wheels