Pre-1997 Models

86 f-150 efi 302 surges...rolling idle.etc...

Old 02-05-2003, 11:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 f-150 efi 302 surges...rolling idle.etc...

my 86 ... fuel pressure regulator change??
the f 150 in the signature with an efi 302...

i see it on the fuel rail but i dont know what holds it in place yet or what or how to remove it.

there seems to be screws that go in from the bottom but i hope that those are not for my removing because i hate working with any screw where you cant see the head of it ...

itll cost me 24$ for a new 1 and i think this is my problem..my truck lately has been just out of nowhere surging like if i am at a stop sign with my foot on the brake it may just up and revv and want to take off...and at times the idle will i guess one would say roll...i havent checked with a vaccum guage but i dont think i have any vaccum line problems but that doesnt mean it is not a gasket...a lil insight would be greatly appreciated..

.and also just for the info just yesterday my fuel pump relay decided it wanted to crap out. im just leaving my sisters house i drive maybe 1 block ,turn and poof my truck stalls and the relay is just clicking up a storm and after that the truck wouldnt start.i ended up cranking the engine and shaking the relay(that i had hanging from below the dash)and as luck would have it it started b4 i killed my battery.drove to the parts store that luckily enough didnt close for another 45 mins and bought a new 1 ...and then later that night i went to get gas,backed out of my driveway POOF it stalls again the relay(new 1 )clicks maybe 1nce or twice and the truck starts right back up and it hasnt happened since then.

p.s.another recent development is when i have the heat on the temp guage gets kind of high on the temp...does this indicate heater core problems???

Old 02-06-2003, 12:05 AM
Re: 86 f-150 efi 302 surges...rolling idle.etc...

Originally posted by pancake
i see it on the fuel rail but i dont know what holds it in place yet or what or how to remove it.
3 blots, the head are facing toward the back of the engine so you cant see them, you have to feel them out. the blots use allen keys too, but i cant remember the size right now. it annoying, but not too difficult to replace.

Old 02-06-2003, 12:11 AM
Re: 86 f-150 efi 302 surges...rolling idle.etc...

Originally posted by pancake
p.s.another recent development is when i have the heat on the temp guage gets kind of high on the temp...does this indicate heater core problems???
Not normally, it could be a plugged radiator, low coolant, stuck thermostat, blown head head gasket, or something like that.

Old 02-06-2003, 03:22 PM
GOOD GRIEF!

i never woulve thought but i am sayin i doubt the thermostat and plugged radiator,but i am starting to wonder as to the head gasket whaich i dont want to change because the coolant dissappears...it doesnt appear to make into the cylinders though.
now that you mention it though it is all coming back to me during last summer i had noticed a daily drip of coolant coming down the drivers side rear of the block(at first i though it was dripping from the transmission)and this would definately indicate a headgasket,or a cracked head,but at the time i degreased the area around the leak and saw no visible crackks in the side of the head but there was a gap in 1 spot on the headgasket.

GOOD GRIEF CHARLIE BROWN! =(

Old 02-06-2003, 03:31 PM
did you check the freeze plugs?

Old 02-06-2003, 03:35 PM
yes sir at the time i did and they appeared to be intact...

but now that there is snow on the ground i dont notice this coolant drip from the back of the engine anymore...

i cant explain it but the coolant level still drops over time

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 86 f-150 efi 302 surges...rolling idle.etc...