What's Your Opinion on Tithing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's Your Opinion on Tithing?

My wife and I have been struggling a bit on this subject, and it has become the focus of our church the last 3-4 weeks. What's your opinion on Tithing and the "10 percent" principle? Is it still to be practiced today with the New Covenant?

Old 10-21-2014, 01:06 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep, it's to support the church and Brotherhood (primarily missionaries) it has nothing to do with the sacrifice of the Old Covenant. I've seen the 10% taken before takes (from total gross) or after (total kept income) That part I feel is up to you

Old 10-21-2014, 01:08 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Let me preface this by saying that I don't hear the same music as everybody else. I don't see things the same. Here's the passage from the Bible that you are referencing:
20 And he saith unto them, Whose is this image and superscription?

21 They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's.

22 When they had heard these words, they marvelled, and left him, and went their way.

In my opinion, which most ministers will say I'm nutz, I hear Jesus saying money is the invention of man. If man taxes you, then pay taxes with the money created by man. Render unto God what is God's. Are you doing good works? Do you help the less fortunate in your area? Are you doing random acts of kindness? When you met someone in passing, do you smile to maybe brighten their day. Even an enthusiastic hello can make a persons day. Have you gone to see an elderly person that may be in a nursing home, take them to lunch. These folks get out so seldom. Have you ever given a homeless person a meal or a blanket in the winter? This is God's creation and it's our duty to take care of it. So giving 10% of my income does not apply as far as I can see. But you also have to understand, a church is like a business. If the money isn't coming in the door, those doors will be locked one day. So I'm going to tell you, give what you can and pay no attention to the 10% and do good works. Good works are what gets you into Heaven, not money.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by Labnerd
Let me preface this by saying that I don't hear the same music as everybody else. I don't see things the same. Here's the passage from the Bible that you are referencing:

21 They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's.

22 When they had heard these words, they marvelled, and left him, and went their way.

In my opinion, which most ministers will say I'm nutz, I hear Jesus saying money is the invention of man. If man taxes you, then pay taxes with the money created by man. Render unto God what is God's. Are you doing good works? Do you help the less fortunate in your area? Are you doing random acts of kindness? When you met someone in passing, do you smile to maybe brighten their day. Even an enthusiastic hello can make a persons day. Have you gone to see an elderly person that may be in a nursing home, take them to lunch. These folks get out so seldom. Have you ever given a homeless person a meal or a blanket in the winter? This is God's creation and it's our duty to take care of it. So giving 10% of my income does not apply as far as I can see. But you also have to understand, a church is like a business. If the money isn't coming in the door, those doors will be locked one day. So I'm going to tell you, give what you can and pay no attention to the 10% and do good works. Good works are what gets you into Heaven, not money.
Thanks for responding! I understand that money is important to the ministry and we must give in order to sustain it.
I don't agree with you about good works. We are called to love God, and love others, but it's by the grace of God through Jesus Christ that we are saved and going to heaven: Ephesians 2:8-9- For by Grace you have been saved through faith and not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not the results of our works so that no man may boast. We can't get to heaven by our works, it is only through Christ's finished work on the cross. That's what separates Christianity from every other religion.
I do agree with you about giving all you can and helping those less fortunate and not paying attention to 10%.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by ak_cowboy
Yep, it's to support the church and Brotherhood (primarily missionaries) it has nothing to do with the sacrifice of the Old Covenant. I've seen the 10% taken before takes (from total gross) or after (total kept income) That part I feel is up to you
Thanks for responding! Where in the New Testament are we required to give 10%? Jesus made no demand for a tithe, but required we give all we can from the heart. Tithe is a tax Jewish law required to support the Levites and High Priests because they didn't own any land or livestock.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Labnerd

The good works has already been mentioned and I agree....we are saved by grace and the scripture you noted above is from the NT, which is still applies, maybe not completely to the tithing issue.

Originally Posted by Jesusfrk
Thanks for responding! Where in the New Testament are we required to give 10%? Jesus made no demand for a tithe, but required we give all we can from the heart. Tithe is a tax Jewish law required to support the Levites and High Priests because they didn't own any land or livestock.
Just like most of the OT, the laws and practices have been sanctified or done away with when Jesus died on the cross, HOWEVER, the moral laws (time endless reasons) still apply today and will always apply in my opinion.

The 10% tithe mentioned in Malichi, for me, would be a guideline....remember when Moses told the people to stop giving because the store houses were overflowing and they had TOO MUCH.....go figure. So, whether, it's 5%, 20%, etc....the keys would be whether or not you feel good about it regardless of your situation...meaning, don't just give 10% when you are doing well financially and when things are tight, only give 1%. Don't get me wrong, giving extra when you're flush is a great thing and God will honor that also, but people tend to give based on what's left in their bank account and I believe God intended tithes to be given back to him first....then what's left can be given as extra.

Anyways, I also believe that tithing could also be applied to other biblical principles, such as FAITH, DILIGENCE, RESPONSIBILITY, PRUDENCE, etc.....so there's many reasons to tithe and the by product is that the work of the gospel can continue by paying those that are called to the ministry....that's how God works. It's not our tithes that pays the minister....God takes care of that, but through the giving hearts of his people through his spirit is how it happens.

Tithe doesn't always have to go to the church also....my wife and I designate a portion of our tithe to those in need throughout the year or for special causes we hear about, which sometimes accounts for half our tithe and the church will get the rest.

Good discussion.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:48 PM
^^^I remember a woman from my church who gave her time to clean and do yard work for the church as a way of tithing when she didn't have any income at all.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by taxreliever
The good works has already been mentioned and I agree....we are saved by grace and the scripture you noted above is from the NT, which is still applies, maybe not completely to the tithing issue.

Just like most of the OT, the laws and practices have been sanctified or done away with when Jesus died on the cross, HOWEVER, the moral laws (time endless reasons) still apply today and will always apply in my opinion.

The 10% tithe mentioned in Malichi, for me, would be a guideline....remember when Moses told the people to stop giving because the store houses were overflowing and they had TOO MUCH.....go figure. So, whether, it's 5%, 20%, etc....the keys would be whether or not you feel good about it regardless of your situation...meaning, don't just give 10% when you are doing well financially and when things are tight, only give 1%. Don't get me wrong, giving extra when you're flush is a great thing and God will honor that also, but people tend to give based on what's left in their bank account and I believe God intended tithes to be given back to him first....then what's left can be given as extra.

Anyways, I also believe that tithing could also be applied to other biblical principles, such as FAITH, DILIGENCE, RESPONSIBILITY, PRUDENCE, etc.....so there's many reasons to tithe and the by product is that the work of the gospel can continue by paying those that are called to the ministry....that's how God works. It's not our tithes that pays the minister....God takes care of that, but through the giving hearts of his people through his spirit is how it happens.

Tithe doesn't always have to go to the church also....my wife and I designate a portion of our tithe to those in need throughout the year or for special causes we hear about, which sometimes accounts for half our tithe and the church will get the rest.

Good discussion.
Great answer. Thanks for your input. Our pastor doesn't mention your time, gifts, or serving. He was only focused on monetary giving. We are desperately needing a sermon on serving rather than giving money. Seems to be an issue everywhere we go. We work in children's ministry at our church and people don't mind dropping off kids when we don't have the help. Some people love to get fed but never want to serve. Giving wholeheartedly, serving, as well as monetary is an act of worship, and we understand that. Our church in Germany had the collection baskets at the front and were never forced into your arms. This led you to give as God led you, not when it was convenient for the church. That church never had a financial difficulty. I feel forcing the issue of it must be 10% or God will curse you is not the best way of demanding a tithe. You shouldn't have to give with a spirit of fear, but joy.

Last edited by Jesusfrk; 10-21-2014 at 02:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-21-2014, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by taxreliever
^^^I remember a woman from my church who gave her time to clean and do yard work for the church as a way of tithing when she didn't have any income at all.
That's awesome! Our pastor said that you should still give money no matter your financial circumstance. I truly believe that America doesn't give like it can because of personnel debt. Can you imagine if we all got rid of our credit cards, and not have to borrow anymore? People could give so much more.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:11 PM
Great answer. Thanks for your input. Our pastor doesn't mention your time, gifts, or serving. He was only focused on monetary giving. We are desperately needing a sermon on serving rather than giving money. Seems to be an issue everywhere we go. We work in children's ministry at our church and people don't mind dropping off kids when we don't have the help. People love to get fed but never want to serve. Giving wholeheartedly, serving, as well as monetary is an act of worship, and we understand that. Our church in Germany had the collection baskets at the front and were never forced into your arms. This led you to give as God led you, not when it was convenient for the church. That church never had a financial difficulty. I feel forcing the issue of it must be 10% or God will curse you is not the best way of demanding a tithe. You shouldn't have to give with a spirit of fear, but joy.
100% agree....while it may bring in the temporary dollars (I've seen it), it won't work long term, nor do I think God would ever bless that situation.

I also went to a church in Mass that had the tithe boxes in the back and I gave more during my tenure there than I did when I was pressured with the passing of the plate.

And also to follow what you said about the "only fed" people in your church, that's the way it is primarily in any organization, church or business.....you have 10-20% of the people accounting for 80-90% of the revenue. For people in church, there's always a small core of believers that are working hard and the rest just show up.....but at least they show up.....I bet at one time, those hard working believers were initially part of those others that just showed up also.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:14 PM
That's awesome! Our pastor said that you should still give money no matter your financial circumstance. I truly believe that America doesn't give like it can because of personnel debt. Can you imagine if we all got rid of our credit cards, and not have to borrow anymore? People could give so much more.
Right....like I said before, I believe that all that we have (possessions, money, and our abilities) are God's to begin with; he just let's us keep a larger portion of it after his part is accounted for. It should be the first fruits of our labor, not after we pay our bills/debts.

America does have a debt problem, individually and as a country.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:00 AM
My wife's a priest, so I get to see some of the back end stuff. From a purely secular point of view, churches take money to maintain and run. That beautiful old building is not maintenance free. If you're in a skilled trade, then work to keep your church running is great. I'm a home handyman - I pretty much rebuilt my house from the studs, but I'm not licensed so I can't really "donate" that way. But I've seen too many churches where no one can afford to tithe but at the same time will fiercely fight any attempt to sell off the church building for something more appropriate for the congregation. Churches living off old grants can only live so long.

That said, I'm also not a church-going man. My wife gives her 10% back to the church, but I take my 10% and give to charities that I think are doing the work that needs to be done. I was raised Catholic, and good works are tied into that, but even if good works don't get you into Heaven, certainly they're what God wants you to be doing down here.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:01 AM
Agree. Tithing was a Levitical requirement and unscriptural in the new covenant. Giving is the new covenant idea, yet giving is a gift of the Spirit and not everyone possesses it. The Lord in His absolute sovereignty doles out gifts to the entire Body, not all are the same. See: Ephesians 4:12, 1 Corinthians 12:4.

The gifts given to each help the Body of Christ by all working together and fall under 3 types: ministry, manifestation, and motivational.

It is a pleasure to give for the one so gifted and should never stir up feelings of "I'm doing my share, what about you?" That would be legalistic and works- a "filthy rag" as is some predetermined amount based on that same unscriptural teaching. The one time I was asked to give by God, it was a specific and uncomfortable amount and it far exceeded the 10% of gross- it was an obedience call only. Of that I am certain.

On a personal note, it drives me crazy to hear pastors these days speak in error or even outright heresy toward a lazy laity- lapping up whatever comes from the pulpit or stage without questioning it...most mainline churches are so full of mixed pagan and heretical teachings sprinkled into sermons it makes my head spin. Study to show thyself approved.

Last edited by Simply67X; 11-11-2014 at 07:04 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by Simply67X
Agree. Tithing was a Levitical requirement and unscriptural in the new covenant. Giving is the new covenant idea, yet giving is a gift of the Spirit and not everyone possesses it. The Lord in His absolute sovereignty doles out gifts to the entire Body, not all are the same. See: Ephesians 4:12, 1 Corinthians 12:4.

The gifts given to each help the Body of Christ by all working together and fall under 3 types: ministry, manifestation, and motivational.

It is a pleasure to give for the one so gifted and should never stir up feelings of "I'm doing my share, what about you?" That would be legalistic and works- a "filthy rag" as is some predetermined amount based on that same unscriptural teaching. The one time I was asked to give by God, it was a specific and uncomfortable amount and it far exceeded the 10% of gross- it was an obedience call only. Of that I am certain.

On a personal note, it drives me crazy to hear pastors these days speak in error or even outright heresy toward a lazy laity- lapping up whatever comes from the pulpit or stage without questioning it...most mainline churches are so full of mixed pagan and heretical teachings sprinkled into sermons it makes my head spin. Study to show thyself approved.
Since I became a Christian, I've always felt led by the Spirit to give when I see a need. Not from obligation, or to show what a good giver I am. I really feel led to give. I would question one's Salvation if they don't give back to God who gave up His Son. I don't think Pastors need to guilt people into giving, they need to lead people to Jesus. God can give a church what it needs with or without the money.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:50 PM

Another seconding of good works not being key for entry to Heaven.

I didn't read everything above, but I feel giving to the church is important. However, 10% is merely guideline for those first beginning to give. People should give what they can, what they want to, and/or what they feel comfortable giving. I know my parents tend to do around 10%, but also write big checks independent of the normal offerings when things are going well for them financially. I'm not feeling overly "zealous" in my faith at the moment, which hopefully is a phase, but I'll likely do as my parents do when I'm at that point in my life.

Quick Reply: What's Your Opinion on Tithing?