The Outdoors Off-roading, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, and Weaponry. What are you out doing in your F-Series?

The first Two (Bucks) spied this year

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 10:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink The first Two (Bucks) spied this year

Usually it's about late September, early October when I first get a spy shot on my trail cameras of a decent Buck. This is at my place outside of Burlington, West Virginia. We have a 14x70 mobile home that has an elevated front kitchen with two steps, and with a slide out in the LR. Starting about late June, early July sometimes I'll see four/six pointers in velvet on the cameras. Maybe a smaller eight pointer. In '12 it was Aug. 30th. when I got a shot of a real nice eight pointer still in velvet. This year it was Monday of last week, the 12th., when I got my first look at a couple of nice eight pointers. It was right outside my front door about 15 yards away. Two of them standing there caught me by surprise. It was 11:00AM. I had just made my second cup of coffee and was stepping down from the kitchen into the LR. The front door is right there where you enter the kitchen. Any way, I glanced out the small front door window and there they were, standing, facing each other. I thought they were gonna go at it. So I tip toed into the LR, set down my cup of coffee and grabbed my Sony DSLR camera. Just when I got back to the window they both had turned and were walking away. I managed to click off a quick video and several pics.. But, they were already 25-30 yds. away and looking away from me. But I could still see the size of the racks. So, what do you think?

Old 10-23-2015, 10:39 AM
Wink

A few pics from other years

Aug 30th., '12.

Oct. 07th., '12

Nov. 05th. '13.

Nov. 10th., '13.

Sept. 13th., '14.

Sept. 26th., '14.

Oct. 07th., '14.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:48 AM
Wink

The trailer

Old 10-26-2015, 12:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think you truck looks dirty. LOL. Just kidding. I just read your posts in the Car and Detailing forum. Oh, and by the way, those are a couple of nice looking bucks!

Old 10-27-2015, 09:05 AM
Wink

Well, Ya Know......If it's gonna be dirty, that's usually where it's at. In West Virginia. That last pic was at the end of the season last year. The Ranger was loaded up, and she was ready to head out the next morning. These few pics are of a few years ago. It was before I had our lanes on the properties scrapped and some stone layed down. About the worst she gets out there now is when it's real dry and dusty, or rainy.

Nov. 20, '11.

Nov. 24, '11.

Jan. 27, '12.

Jan. 27, '12.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:32 AM
Wink

Been meaning to post this since we got back from West Virginia. As luck would have it, my Sister was the one who took one of those two bucks. In the first series of pictures in this post, it's of the buck in the last picture. It was on opening day during the evening hunt. She got out to the blind about 5:00AM for the opening morning. Sunrise was around 7:05AM, so legal at 6:35AM. Saw a few does and little ones but no Bucks. She came out about 11:00AM or so for a short bit, then went back in around 1:30PM or so. She was in the blind we call at "The Dead End Road", because that's were it sits. I was in the blind that was over on the other side of the property, just inside a field in the woods. At about 4:15PM I here a shot come from her direction. I could tell it was a rifle, and I knew she got a shot off with her 30.06. I listened and no more shots. About 5 minutes later my phone vibrates, it was her saying "First one Down!". By the way, No luck for me this season, first year out in a long time, and with my crossbow. But I do have a Good Story to tell. Here's a few pics of my sisters Buck....

There she hangs, a nice eight pointer.

My sister and brother-in-law.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice deer! So far all I've been able to get this year is a doe. The weather we have is killing me. South winds with the weather consistently running 20-30* above normal. I was running around outside yesterday barefoot in shorts. A couple of cold fronts are supposed to move through this week, so maybe the deer will be moving again by next weekend.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:44 AM
Wink

Ok, so.... I put in the time, I think? Four mornings, and five evening hunts in the blind. This is the first year that I've been able to go out hunting. Back issues, among other things had made it impossible for me to hunt. Even holding a gun up, my Remington 870, was difficult at best. In Aug. of '13 I bought two Redneck Predator 360 blinds. But I wasn't able to get them out to the property or get them set up until the following year, Aug. of '14. For the moment they are placed where they can be used, but not really where I want them. I also have for the blinds, Little Buddy propane heaters, Ozonics odor control units, and camouflage/Black out curtains. For now, It means that I, my sister, or whomever we invite, can sit, be comfortable, and move around in relative concealment. As I said, this was the first year out for me in a very long time. I decided to use a Crossbow. So I have a TenPoint Turbo XLT II. Now for my story.
I was up and out for opening morning, and in the evening. Saw plenty of deer, but I'm waiting for one of several nice bucks, and one nice BigBoy in particular. But none showed. So once again I was out the following morning and evening. Already deer in the area are getting pressured. Our property is on a mountain top. Besides us, there is only one other property owner who goes out regularly thru the year to maintain, scout and spend some time on their property. We have one neighbor bordering us who lives there. The weekend before opening day, usually there are two other owners who show up, sometimes with large parties. It brings additional pressure. So by the third day, the deer are very spooked, patterns change and that makes it more important to be out there. But, being old.....er, by the third day (Wensday) I was too tired for an early morning hunt. So I waited till early afternoon and went out. I saw a few including a six pointer. But I was waiting for......you know, and still had several days. Thanksgiving I stayed in and went into a Food Comma. Friday same thing, saw some does in the morning and some little ones. The evening hunt was about the same as well. Saturday was going to be my last day to be in the blind. We were leaving on Monday, so Sunday was a relax and pack day. I mustered up the will and went out for the morning hunt. But I was a bit late. While going over to the blind riding in the Ranger, I jumped a small heard bedding down just on the edge of the property. So I thought the morning hunt was shot. But just after daybreak I still had some visitors, but no........you know. Saturday afternoon I went into the blind at about 1:00PM and decided to stay until I couldn't see. It wasn't until about 4:30PM when I got some visitors. Sunset was going to be about 4:55PM which meant I only had until about 5:25PM. At about 5:10PM the deer that were there had left. At about 5:20 or so it was pretty dark from inside the blind. So I got up off the chair and flipped the window and curtains down. I open the door and I slowly step one foot out onto the platform. It was dark but I could still see a bit. I paused a moment, took a look, then I take another step as I slowly swing the door all the way open. All of a sudden right behind me and behind the door, I here a Loud "SNORT". Ah S**T! .....I step out away from the blind because at that point I'm already busted. I'm still holding the handle of the door and I turn to look behind me but I can't see him. A fallen tree is in the way and it's fairly dark. Another Loud "SNORT", and then I see a large white tail in the air with two large brown flanks. When he hits the ground, it sounds like a MULE! I here about two more thuds and he's gone............

Last edited by Scarlet; 12-24-2015 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:51 AM
Wink

Here are a few pics of the Buck(s) I was hoping for. In the first pic, I'm in the blind and looking out the window I was using. The feeder is about 20yds, and to the edge of the woods is 30yds. From this position in the blind, the main window looking out to the field is on my left. The door is to my right.

The one I was looking for

In this pic he would be just behind the evergreen tree in the first pic looking out the window, on the left.

Another decent Buck

Old 01-29-2016, 12:42 AM
Both are my smallest, had an opportunity at a giant 4pt but had buck fever and wasn't comfortable with the shot. Regretting it now but first solo hunt and new state so unfamiliar area

Old 01-29-2016, 08:03 AM
Wink

Coolness! Love the scenery. Where are you at in the pic.? Is that where you were this year? I live in Delaware, but hunt in West Virginia. We're outside of Burlington, which is in the western part of the Panhandle off of rt. 220/50. 2012 was a good year for big deer. Here's a few pics from then.

When we saw this trail cam pick we got Very Excited.

Not a huge rack, but look at how thick he is. This is actually a still frame from a movie on my DSLR.

He come barrelin' down the hill chasing does in front of the trailer. Gonna look for that pic.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:04 PM
Nice, im going to get a whitetail one day. I'm from Wa, but that was in idaho. The 2 previous years I hunted in montana.

Montana 2013 1st buck, public land. 28" wide 2x3

2015 montana

Quick Reply: The first Two (Bucks) spied this year