The Outdoors Off-roading, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, and Weaponry. What are you out doing in your F-Series?

Yeti Coolers

Old 04-19-2014, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeti Coolers

Im looking to get a yeti this summer and need some advise on the size. I either want the Tundra 65 or the 75. Do any of yall have one and love it? Wish you had gotten another size? My main concern is lugging the damn thing around. I have heard that the 65 will hold 2 cases of beer and 2 bags of ice, is this true? Also i plan to use the cooler for throwing fish on ice when i catch them.

I just dont wanna throw all this money into the cooler and then realize that i would have rather had another size.

Thanks all, Peter

Old 04-20-2014, 01:27 AM
Been a hunter/camper/outdoorsman my whole life. They are not in my budget, but rule of thumb in matters like this is simple:

Get the biggest one you can afford. You will regret getting the lesser, I guarantee it.

Some of my buddies have them, they do really well and some are big furry animal proof. Compared to what I use, there appears be about a 15-20% longer cold retention time frame to work with.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:40 AM
I bought the Pelican Elite cooler rather than a Yeti. Pelican is cheaper and better made by comparison. Dual handles, better lid locking mechanism, stainless steel hardware, reinforced steel rod inside the molding for strength. Walmart had the 65 qt for $299, compared to a Yeti for $399. Plus Pelican is a lifetime warranty, where as Yeti is 5yr.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:02 PM
How much can you lift and carry ??
I'm old and decrepite so while I can lift a 45 I wouldn't like to carry it any distance .If there are two of you no problem.
I started out taking venison or trout and putting bags of ice on top. Bag breaks ,venison ends up in melted ice ! not good. Then I changed to freezing water in 1 Qt plastic bottles instead. Works fine.
These special coolers are much better. Hold the temperature much longer, physically tougher will last much longer. I see them as long term invesments.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:46 PM
I have had a 75 qt Yeti for about three years now. Absolutely love it. I use it for work (crop insurance adjuster), tailgating, and camping. It holds ice like a champ and has taken a beating with very little wear and tear to show for it. When it's fully loaded it is a two man job to pick it up and maneuver it around.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:57 PM
mossbum, from your experience would you think that 65 qt would also be a two man job fully loaded? I figure if the 65 is a two man job I might as well go wit the 75

Old 04-21-2014, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by xAUBxPJCx
mossbum, from your experience would you think that 65 qt would also be a two man job fully loaded? I figure if the 65 is a two man job I might as well go wit the 75
I have a friend with the 65 and while it is a bit easier to maneuver physically, the weight is similar. I would go with the 75.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:59 PM
My last question, is there any advantage to buying the cooler online? I know you have to pay shipping but does yeti include any bonuses from ordering online? Is tax cheaper?

Thanks all

Old 04-24-2014, 11:18 AM
My last question, is there any advantage to buying the cooler online? I know you have to pay shipping but does yeti include any bonuses from ordering online? Is tax cheaper?

Thanks all
Not real sure. I live in Northeast Arkansas but I actually bought mine across the stateline in Missouri because their sales tax was less.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:08 PM
Check out Gander Mountain as well. They have their own line of Yeti-like coolers. Whatever you plan on spending on a Yeti will basically get you the next size up of the Gander Mountain version.

Also, ordering online does have an advantage. Depending on who you order from, you may get free shipping, no tax and, if you hunt for it, a discount code on your purchase.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:03 PM
One of our Scoutmasters bought the one Costco was offering this spring...
I am envious...it is heavy, and appears to be very well built...Sams club also had one...around $250 I think...

Not to hijack this thread...I was at a Sportsman show a couple of years ago...someone was selling military surplus bags, that were purposed for keeping blood cold...they said that you could put frozen steaks in them, and they would stay frozen for a week...anybody familiar with them? I kick myself for not buying one there...I think they were $35...

Old 06-16-2014, 04:03 PM
Check out the pelican coolers before you decide on the yeti. They don't have the name brand recognition that yeti has but a few of the features are more thought out. handles/pressure release valve/lid insulation

Old 06-20-2014, 12:34 AM
I ended up going with the yeti tundra 75. Its big and heavy but i have filled it completely up a few times already and am glad i got the big size

Old 06-22-2014, 10:38 PM
I ended up going with the yeti tundra 75. Its big and heavy but i have filled it completely up a few times already and am glad i got the big size
good choice!

Old 07-10-2014, 07:17 PM
Was on another Scout Trip a couple of weeks ago...my buddy brought his cooler...its a Pelican that he got from Costco...very nice cooler!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yeti Coolers