The Outdoors Off-roading, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, and Weaponry. What are you out doing in your F-Series?

Anybody else ready for hunting season?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody else ready for hunting season?

Only one week left here in GA and a few seasons open up. Sept. 7 is the opener for goose, gator, and dove, and the following weekend is deer and teal. I've got the boat ready, some geese and gators scouted, and got a few good bucks on the trail cam. Anybody else ready?

Name:  PICT0277_zps16e20511.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  68.1 KB

Name:  PICT0341_zps4a868a20.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  137.3 KB

had a few pigs show up

Name:  PICT0133_zps9b556c24.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  153.7 KB

Old 08-31-2013, 08:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Absolutely! Snapped this one with my phone tonight.

Last edited by CJB XLT; 09-02-2013 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:09 PM
It opened aug. 15th here in sc.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm ready. Lakes will be less crowded and easier to fish!

Old 09-01-2013, 10:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Are you Kiddin"?! I've been ready since last deer season. We have property in Burlington, WV.. That's were we hunt deer, turkey, etc.. On the last day of the season, that afternoon my sister and I were making a final check of the trailcams.. We were a gasp at what we saw ! Dummy us, we didn't go out that morning because, well, I can't remember. I think my sister was feeling bad from some type of stomach thing. I haven't hunted for many years due to back problems. I just take care of the trail cams and feeders. I have eight trail cams out on the properties. Two in this field and one in the woods next to it. By this time of year I've usually have been out there several times to check the cameras, replace batteries, and to keep the feeders going. But due to family things, back acting up, I haven't been able to go out since early June. I know the batteries have got to be dead in the cams by now. It was this time last year when I first saw the bucks in velvet. What a sight! Any way, this year, I decided to try and hunt. Yes, I got the bug back. I bought a Tenpoint crossbow. Shooting it isn't that bad on my back. I've been shooting it pretty regular trying to build up my strength and accuracy. I bought two Redneck Predator 360 blinds. One is going into this field, and the other is going on the other property on the other side of the mountain. So yea, I' can't wait!!

Last edited by Scarlet; 09-01-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:27 PM
I've been hunting moose since August 10th. Usually have one by now with my bow. I've taken 16 with archery, 14 with firearm. We are gun hunting now and have seen 16 bulls so far this season, but we are dealing with antler restrictions and none of the 16 were legal to take. Going out again this evening. Been running in the 94 F250 Beast. I cruise the highway with my 09 Lariat.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Feral hogs are a HUGE problem here in Texas, and are actually encouraged to be taken any time of year, by pretty much any means...

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...ce/feral_hogs/

A friend has a hunk of land outside of Santa Fe that we hunt on and off year round for hogs, mostly to clear them out. We have been known to just perch up on his big John Deere tractor and just wait for them to come out. They are pretty fearless until a few of them start dropping...

Deer season, general season that is, starts on Nov 2. Archery already started. A few of my friends have already taken a buck or two. Finances have me without a deer lease this year. Will try to get out with my nephew and a couple of the brothers in law at one of their places to take a Buck this year. The freezer is empty...

Old 09-16-2013, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by dbhost
Feral hogs are a HUGE problem here in Texas, and are actually encouraged to be taken any time of year, by pretty much any means...
Georgia is on its way to having a hog problem as well. There are many places that the hogs are so bad there are farmers paying people to come shoot them. What scares me is that some of these hog infested areas aren't even an hour from the land I hunt, and my land has some prime hog habitat. I've got 3 coming to my salt licks pretty regularly so I'm going to try to get rid of all 3 this weekend before they multiply.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:10 PM
Yeah, it blows me away to see / hear of guys actually paying to go on Hog hunts... Heck around these parts all you need to do is drive by any sort of field at night, especially if the field is on one side, and there is a water source on the other side of the road, then you can bumper hunt them!

The crazies have shut down the hunters feeding the hungry programs, but my wife and I have some friends that are single parents with mouths to feed. I am not big on pork so what we do is I get the hogs, and we have a friend that processes them for free for this purpose. The recipient families go with to pick up the finished meats. Ends up typically with a lot of sausage, some hams that kind of stuff.

I remember when I was in my 20s, the food banks would GLADLY take them...

It's kind of crazy, we have pig populations WAY out of control, causing TONS of economic, and environmental damage, we have people willing to harvest them, and even people willing to process them, but the official channels put so much red tape in the way that the meat rarely gets to those that could really use a break.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:44 PM
The Eagle has landed. 500 plus pounds of processed, boned meat in the locker.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:34 PM
ready for deer season. moved cities so i'm now about 20 miles from my land

Old 10-01-2013, 07:53 PM
Man...Just got back from 9 days of elk hunting on the AZ Rim. I had a cow tag and got skunked...of course I stalked up on a nice 6x6 bull- but that's how it goes.

My cousin got his though...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tom67x/9899330275/sizes/c/in/photostream/

Old 10-02-2013, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by 97isnotold
ready for deer season. moved cities so i'm now about 20 miles from my land
Must be nice, I moved off to college and I'm still 1hr 10mins away from my hunting land.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:42 AM
Had my 2 long weekends this year on a property that enforces slot limits. I saw some nice young bucks that will be good shooters in a few years, but they were under our slot (Minimum 8 pts). So I got to freeze my butt off and spend some quality time out in the ranch.... Not a bad way to spend a weekend actually...

Old 04-10-2014, 10:30 AM
AZ elk and antelope has come to a close and I came out tagless.

Looks like I will be a guide this year and scavenge for some OTC tags...

Quick Reply: Anybody else ready for hunting season?