The Outdoors Off-roading, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, and Weaponry. What are you out doing in your F-Series?

Compound Bow, or CrossBow?

Old 03-12-2013, 05:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats man hope you enjoy it

Old 03-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats on the bow and good luck next season.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Well I thought I would give an update on my experience thus far with the Tenpoint Crossbow I decided to buy. I bought the XLT II turbo model. It has the Acudraw system for drawing the bowstring. It works really well. I can't imagine having a crossbow without some type of drawing system. I tried the Parker Concorde with the CO2 drawing system. Liked how it worked but the bow weighed a ton. So I let it pass by. Now for how it shoots. From the factory the scope is suppose to be sighted in for 20yds.. Further reading states that I should be able to hit a 9" pie tin. Well, I would think I should be able to do better than a 9" pattern at 20yds.?. Standing I did OK, but my pattern wasn't that tight. Two attempts with a group of three shots got me about a 4"-5" pattern, while at least one of the three was near center. So, I marched inside and got me a kitchen chair, and brought it out for a sit down. Two more groups of three and I impressed myself . First group of three were all within a 1"-2" circle. Second group I did a William tell and destroyed the nock on the second arrow with the third . Time to move out to 30yds.. Wouldn't think ten yards would make that much of a difference. Wrong! Standing I was low and all over the place. Sitting I was much better, but still not consistent. The scope was shooting way low and left, left because of wind. So the next group I compensated for that but was still way low by about 4-5 inches. On that day I didn't make any scope adjustments, just compensated by eye. I managed to get within a 5" circle. I tried two groups at 40yds.,. but by then my back had had it. So I was done for the day. That was about April 25th. out in West Virginia. Well, yesterday I decided to set up the target in the back yard and see if I could sight in the scope. I set up for 30 yards. I took a chair out knowing standing would be futile . I shot one group at 20yrds. for kicks and was right on, so I went out to my 30yd. mark. First group was way low and a bit off center. But I fatigue quickly. So I just adjusted for elevation. So now, at 30yards, I can group the bolts pretty well. But I need to work on consistancy. Sometimes a bolt will be near center, but the next two will be off. And that's because I fatigue easily. I hope with practice that will get better. But, I figure it will only take one shot, right?
I have one issue. Yesterday, after about 15 shots, the bowstring developed a problem. The black winding in the center, just to the left of where the bolt nocks, has broken and is fraying. And just to the right of where the bolt nocks, I can see a rub mark, like it may happen there as well. So Now I am afraid to shoot it for fear of more damage. I sent an email to Tenpoint about it this morning. I can't imagine that 30-40 shots would fray the string. It looks like the trigger is not releasing correctly. But it feels fine? But, I have no experience with a crossbow. Is this a common problem? Am I shooting "To Many" times? It just doesn't seem right. What do you guys thin k? I don't think bowstrings are covered, but it is only the second time I've shot the crossbow. So it should be covered

Old 05-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a compound bow and not a crossbow, but I assume the strings are made relatively the same. Sounds like the "serving" which actually goes around the bowstring where the bolt attaches to the string. Take it back to the bow shop where you bought it. They should be able to retie it easily for nothing. If it is actually the bowstring, get it to the shop right away! These things are under a lot of tension. If it breaks, someone could get hurt and it could damage the bow.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:42 PM
Sounds like the serving is coming undone, and a rub mark is normal. Serving can easily be fixed by a bow shop. Does your scope have just a single crosshair, or several vertical crosshairs? Most of the time they will have several crosshairs set up like a 3-4 pin compound bow sight, and they will be set at 10 yard intervals. And if the scope is off just a little, it will show up a lot more at 30yds than it will at 20yds. If it is shooting 1" left at 20yds, then you may just think it is your shooting, but it may show up as 3-4" left at 30yds. Keep practicing and your shooting should improve, it took me good bit of practice before I could even hold a 4-5" group consistently with a compound.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a wax you can put on the slide that will help to stop the string from rubbing. Also, wax the string just like a compound bow. It helps to keep the fibers from fraying.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:32 PM
Cool

Thanks guys. Yea, it is the serving. I didn't know what to call it. I got a call back from Tenpoint this afternoon. The guy I talked to asked me to email them a few photos of the string, which I did. He seemed to think that (1) - I am cranking it back too far and have damaged the "serving". I may of done that the first couple of times, but after cranking it back a few times, I learned where to stop. So I don't think that's the problem. (2) - He asked me if I have lubed the "Rail". He said that if it wasn't "lubed" that it could cause it to fray. I said no, I bought a tube of it, but because it is a new crossbow, the Archery shop told me I didn't need to until after 75 shots or so. Other than that, he had no other suggestions. He said I should be able to take it back to the Archery shop and they should be able to fix the serving. So That's my next move. Ten point wants me to keep them up to date on the problem and if it persists, they may want me to send it to them. So we'll see. I have a sneaky suspicion that the problem may lye with the trigger mechanism. I remember looking at how the string is held when it is loaded after I noticed the fray, and the problem areas are right where it is held by the trigger mechanism. I don't think I cranked back too far except for maybe the first two or three times. And I don't think that it's because of a lack of lube on the rail. When I bought it, I touched the rail and I had a little "oily" substance on my finger. I noticed the rub marks and then within like six or seven shots is when it frayed. Oh, and the the scope, it has cross hairs for 20, 30 and 40 yards, and a free standing dot for 50. I'm learning how to sight it in as I use it. I'll get there. Thanks again guys............

Last edited by Scarlet; 05-06-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:49 AM
Cool

Here's a couple of the photos I emailed to Tenpoint.

Last edited by Scarlet; 05-08-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:18 AM
Cool

Got my crossbow back yesterday afternoon. Had to have the serving replaced, at no charge. And I also had the shop install a Boxjax silencer kit, and string supressers. Wasn't sure how that would effect my shots. So I took it for a few shots. The silencers did seem to quite it down a bit. Was surprising that a few flimsy pieces of rubber would do that. So here is a couple of pics of the first grouping of three at 30 yards. The next grouping did as well, so I stopped at that point. Now when I get back out to West Virginia I want to set up for 40 and 50 yards. Anxious to try that......

Last edited by Scarlet; 05-17-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:10 AM
Cool

Time for an update. After I had the serving replaced, the first time (story is coming), I took a few shots and it seemed all good. So I put it back into it's case for the summer. A few weeks ago I took her out because the fever is really starting to hit me now. I set up the target and started at 30 yrds. I popped three off (I usually shoot in sets of three) and the grouping was tight, but I wanted it tighter. So I grabbed a chair and sat down. I fired another set. Bang! All three were within an inch. so I moved out to 40 yrds. The first three were spaced out a bit more so I decided to sit down and try another set. That was much better but I knew it could be tighter. So I repositioned my seat, tucked in my elbows and I fired off another round. Yes! Just as tight as it was at 30 yrds. OK, now lets try 50 yrds. That's when I noticed that the serving was separating and a slight fray was visible to the left and right side of the nock. Oh No, not again? 15 shots and it's fraying again? No, there has got to be a problem. From the beginning: The first time it happened I contacted Tenpoint and emailed some photos. They could only "suggest" that maybe I was overcranking the Acudraw, or there wasn't enough lube on the rails. They said have it replaced and if it happens again that I will likely need to send the crossbow in. OK, Now it has happened a second time. So I emailed Tenpoint the next morning and by mid day I had a return call. I explained it was happening again. At first they wanted to claim I was causing it. That I was overcranking it or I was "Over" lubing the rails. Wait, didn't they claim the first time that it may be from not enough lube? which is it? And I explained since they claimed I was overcranking it the first time, that I was diligent. After a brief "discussion", they said send it in. So I sent it UPS, along with photos of the first serving. A few days later I get a phone call. The guy servicing it said he's checked it over and the only problem that he can find is that it appears the Archery shop that put on the new serving didn't use the right string, and that it was not wound tight enough. Otherwise it was fine. He said just make sure to lube the rail every 75-100 shots and not use to much, and oh yea, not to over crank the acudraw. I assured him I wasn't and in fact, that it took exactly 25 1/4 cranks to the safety catch. He laughed. I got it back a few days ago. Last week I loaded up the Ranger and was going to head out to my place Friday morning in West Virginia to start preparing for the season. I haven't been out since early June. The trail camera batteries have got to be exhausted by now, and the feeders need to be refilled. But I hurt my back really bad. When I got up Friday morning to leave I couldn't walk. I ended up going to the ER on Monday to get checked. I was worried I may of done same damage to the fusion I had a few years ago. It was that bad. So, at this point, I'm not even sure I'll be able to hunt this year. I've already had one fusion at L3-L4, and this disk that is bothering me now is at L5-S1. But that's another story. I just bought two Redneck Predator 360 tower blinds and no way to get them out to WV or set up because I have no one to help me. The company wouldn't deliver them out to WV because I had no physical street address to give them. I'll figure something out I'm sure, but doubtful it will be in time for this year. Heck, they should of already been out there and set up. But things rarely go as planned..................Ok, that's enough moanin' and groanin'. Anyone getting ready?!!

Last edited by Scarlet; 09-14-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:23 AM
Genesis Bow is the latest best compound bow brand known to me so far. It comes with molded competition grip, lower mount stainless steel cable guard, cable slide. I am having this from so long and it comes as expected very nice, and packaging was good too. I personally suggest all to buy this at least once.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Compound Bow, or CrossBow?