The Outdoors Off-roading, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, and Weaponry. What are you out doing in your F-Series?

If this Doesn't get you psyched for Deer Season...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 09:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool If this Doesn't get you psyched for Deer Season...

We had been away from our place in West Virginia for a couple of weeks. The prior trip we got the blinds in place, filled the feeders and put fresh batteries in the trail cams. This trip was to level the blinds, fill the feeders and put out the salt licks. Check the trail cams and put fresh batteries in the cams that needed them. When we went over to the field this is what we found! Once we seen the scrapes at this one tree, I went back to the trailer and grabbed another camera to put on it. This is what we saw. This whole area is very active. There is another tree about 30-40 feet away that is heavily scraped, and another one about twenty feet from it. All within about 20-40 yards from the blind.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice! I'll be there on the 15th to show you how it's done ..

This year actually sucks for me I live to far away from my main hunting grounds and won't be able to get back during deer season at all, except one weekend.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:49 PM
LOL..........You da Man

Old 11-06-2014, 01:11 PM
Cool

A few showing where the trees are in relation to the blind.

The Orange square is where the two Bucks were Facing Off. The Blue square is where my sister was pointing to in a different pic.. White is another scrape spot.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:48 PM
Good luck! I don't hunt myself ... can't bring myself to shoot a deer, or any other animal for that matter (except a human of course no issues there if need arises), I know I know I'm a whimp haha. If I needed the meat to survive it would not be an issue to hunt I just prefer to shoot at a piece of paper lol.

I have never seen a deer get up like that to eat the leaves pretty neat. I think bow season opened up a few weeks ago up here next comes rifles. What will you be using?

Old 11-06-2014, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never seen deer jump up like that either! That's pretty cool to have caught on your cameras.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:27 PM
They aren't eating leaves, they are leaving scent. They have scent glands on their forehead. They'll rub the leaves above a scrape, then urinate on the scrape. All to mark territory.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by thelariat02
They aren't eating leaves, they are leaving scent. They have scent glands on their forehead. They'll rub the leaves above a scrape, then urinate on the scrape. All to mark territory.
Hey I said I didn't hunt

Old 11-06-2014, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by Pockets

Hey I said I didn't hunt
Right and you learned something today. not that it's very useful knowledge for someone that doesn't hunt.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:39 PM
Cool

Yea, I thought that was cool to see that. We hunt only what we need for the meat. If it happens to be a nice Buck, well.... ya know???... I personally haven't hunted for years because of back issues. So I've been in charge of the trail cams, feeders, etc.. Which is fine because I enjoy it a lot. Can't shoot a gun because of the recoil, etc.. I wanted these Redneck blinds because I would be able to get up, sit down, stretch, whatever I had to do because of discomfort/pain. I got a crossbow last year in the hopes of maybe hunting. But still been in bad shape for the past year. Doing PT at the moment and getting a needle next week. So doesn't look like I'll be hunting, again....., this year. But there's hope for next season. I think they found the issue, finally....., of what's been causing all this pain for the past year. But hey, I can still man the Buggy, keep the feeders full, man the trail cams, spy on 'em in the dark with the night vision scope, and man the grinder and vacuum sealer........

Old 11-06-2014, 04:46 PM
Sorry to hear about your problems, but good to know they should have it figured out...
The outdoors itself is just amazing. Don't think I could ever live some where that I couldn't drive 5 minutes and be out in the woods.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:12 AM

I had no idea what the deer were doing either

Old 11-07-2014, 12:06 PM
Nice trail cam pics, looks like those young guys have women on their minds.

Rifle season opened up 3 weekends ago in GA and they were chasing does all day long, which was a few weeks earlier than normal. We shot 2 bucks and a doe on my land opening day, and both bucks were chasing does. Fresh scrapes and rubs everywhere, but we haven't had the trail cams out this year so we don't know what size bucks to be expecting.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:41 AM
Cool

Coolness. Always like to here about a good season. Back around '09 is when I started to go back out to West Virginia. For about 15 years I was a certified Beach Bum. Lived there for ten years. Moved back up home in '95. Got a job, got involved with a women (Don't want to go there). Some other various things. Got hurt at work in '02 and went on Workers Comp.. Then SSD in '04. Been disabled since. In late summer of '09 my sister asked me if I wanted to go with her and my bro-in-law out to WV, to get things set up for Deer Season. I've been going ever since (Country Roooooads, Taaaake me hoooome......). Since I was unable to actually hunt, figured I could at least see what was going on behind the lines. So I bought a trail camera. It was some type of cheap, no frills model of some kind, but we liked using it. So the next season I bought two Bushnell's. So now I'm hooked, and I started to buy more. Now I have 10 Trail cams, and need more! I Have:
2 Bushnell: Trophy cams
2 Stealth Cam: Archer's Choice
2 Stealth Cam: Unit-X Nxt Gen.- which are the next seasons version of the Archers Choice.
2 Stealth Cam: Sniper Shadow No-Glo IR Night vision.
2 WildGame Innovations: IR10x WiFi capable cams.
Well, that wasn't enough. I then bought a Moultrie 4.3" Trail Cam viewer. I can view each card, and download the pics onto a card in the viewer. Then, I bought a Bushnell digital night vision monocular. It's a Stealthview 5x42. It's nice. Then I got a Bushnell Elite 1600 laser Rangfinder monocular. I went with monoculars because I'm nearly blind in one eye, and they're lighter to boot. Then I had to have a couple feeders. So I got two Moultrie EZ-Fill ground feeders. OK, I think I'm done?

Old 11-08-2014, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Pockets
Hey I said I didn't hunt
I think our parents did wrong by us, Chris My family is the only one in my entire extended family that doesn't hunt. My dad is an awesome dad, but I definitely would've liked to have hunted. I need to so I can take my kids out.

Quick Reply: If this Doesn't get you psyched for Deer Season...