The Outdoors Off-roading, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, and Weaponry. What are you out doing in your F-Series?

correct set-up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2000, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up correct set-up?

I have a 94 F150 XLT 2wd auto. I was planning on a 6" suspension lift (probally a Superlift) and 33x12.5" BF All-Terrain KO's. I want a Detroit EZ locker in the rear to aid in some non-serious, small time mudding. Is this the correcr set-up for what i have in mind?
Also, the EZ locker is the limited slip, right?

Old 01-14-2000, 03:43 PM
I think the EZ locker is supposed to be a poor man's Detroit Locker because you use the original carrier. Its not a limited slip. they had an article awhile ago in 4 Wheel &
Off-Road comparing various lockers & they said the EZ locker was more clunky than the
Detroit Locker. I can look it up & let you know if you want. Have you checked out the
FabTech lift? They use bent I-beams instead of lift brackets. www.fabtechmotorsports.com

Old 01-19-2000, 12:42 AM
i did look at the fabtech lift, but money wise it was outrageous. i got a quote from 4 wheel parts wholesalers and the superlift was right at $1,000 and the fabtech was around $1,700. is there that much advantage to having bent arms? as far as the locker info, thanks, i wasn't sure about the difference. which detroit should i go for then just to get my posi like i want?

Old 01-19-2000, 09:48 AM
Cajunbuck-
I don't know if theres any advantage to the bent I-beams, other than the look. I think it has a cleaner look with the I-beams being more tucked up in the frame versus having lift brackets hanging down for everyone to see. But I'm just a lowly scrub & its your money, not mine. FabTech says the advantage of the I-beams is you won't put as much stress on the frame. The lift brackets have more leverage on the frame mounts. But, FabTech's 4" lift for a 2WD Super Duty uses lift brackets. Another thing to consider is how does a particular lift kit (system) correct the steering geometry, if it does at all.

I looked at some old issues of 4WOR talking about lockers. They said the Lock Right has the harshest engage-disengagement. The E-Z was next & the Detroit has the least, relatively speaking. They also tested the new Gearless Locker & said it was alot quieter & less clunky, but wouldn't necessarily disengage around turns, making the tires chirp. I think this was affected by the tires they used (BFG MT's) instead of AT's. Meaning the MT has less traction on the street & would give before the Locker would disengage.
4WOR also installed a straight spool & drove it on the street, which is pretty interesting to me. They're other factors they talked about, so if you want, post or e-mail me your fax # (reyesd@mlhs.org) & I'll fax you a copy of the articles.

Quick Reply: correct set-up?