The Outdoors Off-roading, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, and Weaponry. What are you out doing in your F-Series?

What's the difference? (lockers)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 05:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the difference? (lockers)

Ok, this is probably a stupid question, but what's the difference between lockers, air lockers and hydraulic lockers? Which is best for off-road driving. How do they effect on-road driving when disengaged? Are they a "shift on the fly" type of thing, or will you blow the diffys off your truck if you engage them while running?
What's the difference between ARB and Detroit lockers, and why do some people say Detroits are the ones to have?

Magnum

Old 03-12-2003, 11:15 AM
A detroit locker is an automatic locker that will lock the diff when it senses one of the wheels losing traction. They can be noisy and cause a rough street ride by locking up on you going around corners. They are solid though and I've never heard of anybody breaking one. They can usually be had for $400-500 too.

An ARB on the other hand is a selectable locker. Meaning you have to manually engage it just like a transfer case. Advantages to this include having control over your axle being locked or unlocked, and a better ride on the street due to the fact that when it is unlocked you have an open diff. Disadvantages are that it requires an air source to operate them. This means having to run air lines to your diffs and have a compressor or HP air tank to activate them. They are usally around $650-700 too, a little more expensive.

I'm not sure if they make one for the fords but there are other selectable lockers too. The OX locker is a cable actuated locker and there is also the detroit electrac and eaton e-locker electric lockers.

Personally I like the ARB's. If you do (or have done) a good install with braided stainless air lines and make sure to correctly seal all of your connections the ability to select whether or not your axle is locked is a nice choice to have, especially in the front axle.

Old 03-13-2003, 09:25 PM
Detroit is the simplest mechanical locker.
It is always locked except when you go around a corner then the locker "ratchets"
This is the "rough" ride you get around corners because they click and bang as they ratchet especially as you accelerate around the corner.
Hard to break and heavy duty with few moving parts.

ARB is the opposite.
They are air actuated so they have compressors and lines and seals that leak. Somewhat complicated but still pretty reliable.
Positive thing about them is you can engage them when you need them and diff will act as a normal open diff for street use when you don't. Be prepared to spend a lot more money.

Limited slip or posi uses clutches that engage to "lock" the diff. They have nice street manners but do not work if you get one tire off the ground because you need torque to activate the clutches.
Much better then an open diff but no help if you are into rock crawling or other hardcore off-roading.

Electric lockers are actuated by a switch instead of air pressure like an ARB. Toyota Tacoma's have electric lockers as an option that engages the locker when wheel spin is detected. You can also hard wire them to a switch if so desired. One down side to electric lockers is they are slow to disengage. I think the new Jeep Rubicon's also have electric lockers. (I'm NOT a Jeep guy)

Old 03-15-2003, 08:44 AM
The Detroits kinda sound like the deal, as I want heavy duty more than manners. I assume they will negatively effect gas mileage, if so, how bad? Are they rougher on the rest of the drivetain? If so, what should I beef up to keep it from getting torn up?

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Magnum

Old 03-15-2003, 08:32 PM
Why would it be worse on gas mileage?

Why do you want lockers for your truck?

Old 03-16-2003, 02:10 AM
I would not use an automatic locker in the front. Get a selectable. The main reason is to have your CV's last longer. Not only that but if your front is locked up it makes it almost impossible to turn. If you are off roading that can be a major inconvenience. A detroit is fine for the rear but not the front.

Old 03-16-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Mark_911
Why would it be worse on gas mileage?
Increased drivetrain drag?

Why do you want lockers for your truck?
Because to get to some of the places I like to go requires crossing some nasty terrain and I've gotten stuck with my LS axles and had to winch myself out, I'd rather not get stuck.

Axle:
So maybe Detroits in the rear, and ARBs in the front? Or is there a better selectable than ARBs?

Magnum

Old 03-16-2003, 11:54 PM
That sounds like a good plan there. I'm not sure if they make other selectable for the ford front but here are the choices you have for selectables.

ARB air locker

Detroit Electrac (Don't know if they even have these out yet)

Eaton E-Locker (Don't know if they even have these out yet)

OX cable locker

I'm not sure what size the ford run up front otherwise I'd tell you if these applications would work for you or not.

As I stated earlier the ARB is a good unit if installed properly. I recommend using braided stainless lines instead of the weak plastic tubing that comes with it. You can get the line from any paintball store in various lengths depending on your compressor location. Use a liquid thread sealant at all connections instead of teflon tape, this will ensure a better seal.

Old 03-24-2003, 05:13 PM
Last I saw the Ox locker wasn't available for either the reverse cut 8.8 IFS, 8.8, or 9.75 axles. Even if it is I'd say forget that locker. They're nice cause you have a solid linkage between the locker and you so you KNOW when its locked and when its not. The problem with them is that they're a bitch to adjust and keep adjusted. Most of the peoiple I've talked to that have run them couldn't stand them. Very few people actually liked them.

Quick Reply: What's the difference? (lockers)