Anyone have experience with "Coastal" gear oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have experience with "Coastal" gear oil?

Was just wondering if anyone here has had experience with "coastal" products. My local parts store only caries 75W-140 full synthetic in this brand. I prefer Mobil 1 or Redline products normally but can't find either one in this particular weight anywhere around here.

Old 09-23-2002, 01:40 PM
Hi Luke,

I have had experience with these products. Couple months ago I changed rear end fluid so far it seems to be holding up just fine. I use Amsoil products throughout except for the rearend only because I'm on a budget Coastal fluids and greases are good general fluids, not the best but good enough for general use Just my .02.

Old 09-28-2002, 02:17 AM
They're not to bad. I've sold quite a bit of their stuff (not 75w140 syn) to all sorts of users including hardcore racers and never had a complaint. It's not the best out there but as long as they meet the spec (GL3, GL4, GL5, and etc) they are OK.

Old 09-28-2002, 02:40 AM
Question

I previously worked with a Guy that was an expert on everything. He said one Co. in the USA made all synthetic gear oils. He said this Company is close to Cincinnati, OH. Can anyone confirm or deny this fact?

Old 10-03-2002, 09:15 PM
Coastal?! Hah!!

I am pretty dissapointed in coastal products. I changed my tranny fluid and filter about a month ago. I used a funnel in the dipstick as not to pour it all over the place, and after I had poured 5 quarts in I pulled the funnel and was amazed at what was inside. Some plastic that looked like a small coil spring was lodged in the funnel. I now that it came from in the container because I cleaned the dust out of the funnel before using it. I don't know how much made it to the pan, I almost pulled it back down, but I hoped the filter would catch it. So far she is shifting just fine, but I am on edge every time I drive it.

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience with "Coastal" gear oil?