DRIVESHAFT PROBLEM,CAN ANY ONE HELP ME?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2001, 01:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post DRIVESHAFT PROBLEM,CAN ANY ONE HELP ME?

WELL FIRTS OF ALL I WILL LIKE TO SAY THAT I'M NEW IN THIS WEBSITE AND IT IS REALLY NICE.WELL MY QUESTION IS ABOUT THE DRIVESHAFT,I HAVE A 1997 F-150 AND RECENTLY I GOT INTO AN ACCIDENT AND THE DRIVESHAFT CAME OUT OF PLACE.WELL I TOOK IT TO A COUPLE OF SHOPS TO SEE IF IT COULD BE FIXED,BUT THEY TOLD ME THAT IT WAS NOT FIXABLE BUT THEY SAY THEY COULD BUILD ME A NEW ONE.THE PROBLEM IS THAT THE FORD DRIVESHAFT IS MADE OUT OF ALUMINUM AND THE ONE THEY WILL BUILD WILL BE STEEL,NOW MY QUESTION IS WILL THERE BE A PROBLEM WHIT A DRIVESHAFT MADE OUT OF DIFFERENT MATERIAL GOING INTO MY F-150,WILL IT AFFECT IT IN ANY WAY?OR WILL IT BE JUST FINE?OR I COULD ORDER ONE FROM MY DEALERSHIP BUT IT WILL COST ME ABOUT THREE TIMES MORE THAN THE ONE THAT THE SHOPS WILL BUILD ME.PLEASE IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME WHIT THIS PROBLEM I WILL REALLY APRECIATE IT.

Old 04-18-2001, 03:48 AM
There is no problem with a drive shaft made of different material. The aluminum one is used because it is lighter weight compared to a steel driveshaft. It take energy to turn the drive shaft so a steel one will take a little bit more energy to turn than the aluminum one. My f150 has a steel driveshaft from the faactory on it.

Old 04-21-2001, 12:49 AM
Insist that driveshaft shop install "special" u-joints that have a coating on them if you go with an aluminum shaft (such as a used driveshaft).

The "special" u-joints for aluminum shafts are designed to prevent oxidation of dis-similiar materials--otherwise, the u-joints for aluminum shafts are the same specifications as u-joints for steel driveshafts.

------------------
1999 Teal Blue F-150 S/C
4.6L, XLT, 3.55 L/S 4x2
Tow pkg., Rhino liner, Engine block heater & Swiss hard toneau cover. Premium sound
255/75 R16 Generals-owl
This" is Mama's pride"

Old 04-21-2001, 07:33 AM
I concure with MechE. My '97 had aluminum and my '99 has steel. You probably won't notice the difference in performance.

Old 04-24-2001, 12:21 AM
If you want the OEM aluminum driveshaft try www.fordpartsonline.com the parts I ordered were about 25% less than my local dealer.

Quick Reply: DRIVESHAFT PROBLEM,CAN ANY ONE HELP ME?