Broken Diff. Pinion Shaft Retaining Bolt

Old 11-12-2016, 02:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken Diff. Pinion Shaft Retaining Bolt

(2004 F150 XL 2WD)

The head is off my pinion shaft retaining bolt. This was discovered by my mechanic, who got scared and promptly replaced the cover. Trouble is, I do need rear axle seals, so has anyone suggestions on how to extract this bolt?

Phil

Photo shows an intact bolt:

Old 11-12-2016, 08:46 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Thats a toughy. If you get a reverse cut drill bit and try to drill it out, it might work, or use an EZ out. It must have been installed with an impact wrench to wring off the head. It doesn't need to be torqued very much. Good Luck! PS I've broken off EZ outs before so I'm leary of using one.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:43 PM
Yes, the angle of the bolt makes it tough to get a drill bit in there. The mechanic speculated that it was broken in the factory.

Phil

Old 11-13-2016, 01:25 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Yeah, the center section may have to come out to repair it. But, you can't take it out with that bolt stuck!!!!! I suggest taking it to a 4x4 shop that is used to setting up differentials and get them to replace the seals. After talking to a 4x4 shop or other good shop, depending on how confident they are in their ability to get that bolt out, it may be easier to get a used complete rear axle from a salvage yard and chang out the whole thing.
Good Luck!

Old 11-13-2016, 06:52 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadie
Yeah, the center section may have to come out to repair it. But, you can't take it out with that bolt stuck!!!!! I suggest taking it to a 4x4 shop that is used to setting up differentials and get them to replace the seals. After talking to a 4x4 shop or other good shop, depending on how confident they are in their ability to get that bolt out, it may be easier to get a used complete rear axle from a salvage yard and chang out the whole thing.
Good Luck!
Changing the rear end may be your only option eventually but I would TRY to drill it or to grind it out first since you probably have nothing to lose. But use a LEFT hand drill or grinder. This is important! Do NOT let your mechanic use a right hand drill! It's important enough that I wouldn't trust him but I'd stand right there and watch him. I've found that about 80% of the time just starting to drill out a broken bolt with a LEFT HAND drill will often grab the bolt and spin it out. A RH drill bit will only drive it in tighter.

Spend the money and buy a good quality LH bit from MSC or Grainger or another reputable industrial supplier, Don't trust Amazon or Home Depot or Harbor Freight.

A GOOD welder might also be able to weld another bolt to that one and you could then unscrew it.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I imagine you have gotten this taken care of by now, but if not...
While the bolt may be 1.5" long, only the first half inch of it is threaded. It also has lock-tite on it from the factory.
With the head broken off, the rest of the bolt is no longer under tension and will back out easily - ONCE the loc-tite has been heated up and rendered it's binding properties useless. Use a pick to turn it, or a LH drill bit.
If that fails, you could drill through the end of the cross pin where the stub part of the bolt goes through, essentially drilling the locking bolt in half. That would allow the carrier to come out and be the removal could be performed at a machine shop.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:33 PM
Thanks for that tip. I haven't worked on it yet, but will have to in the spring.

Phil

Search this Thread