I need dire help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 01:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Garrett Moore
I have a 98 with 4.2, 4r70w.. If I swap a mustang 4.6 and trans, will it bolt up to my driveshaft, or can it b done?
Ok a couple things-

1- don't come here asking for advice if you don't want to hear what people have to say. Believe it or not so far you have got good advice.

2- as asked previously, what is your budget? No offense but I am guessing this is your 1st car.. Maybe not.. But regardless swapping engines is very time consuming, expensive, and a huge pita.

My 1st truck was an 01 supercrew 5.4 that I did a full lightning engine swap in. Bored over, forged rods & pistons, bigger fuel injectors, ported blower, different pullies for more boost, bigger maf sensor, long tube headers, etc etc.. Installed full gauges, and then data logged dozens of times to get the tune dialed in. Altogether I easily had 10 grand in just parts into the truck. I did all the labor myself. And you know what the kicker is? It wasn't even that fast..

The moral of my story- it's not worth the effort to try to make these trucks fast. I can almost guarantee you that if you start a swap, you will end up with a half done truck that doesn't run, you're frustrated at, and becomes a worthless lawn ornament. The advice to clean it up and drive it is spot on. I wish I would have left that truck alone and just bought a sports car or bike to rip around in.. That engine I built,had it been in a mustang, would have been an 11-12 second car.. Instead it was a big turd of a truck that would get outrun by any diesel with a tune and exhaust... Just my .02.. Good luck either way..

Old 10-03-2016, 12:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I get very conflicted with these request, We all know that the swap will never happen. No money and no knowledge is a bad combination.

Yet I don't want to discourage anyone. Honestly if i new a young man who got his dads truck, i would say, detail the snot out of it. make it reliable and in first class shape, and enjoy it like your dad did for so many years.

don't go broke trying to honor dad and don't ruin the truck chasing a dream. I didnt know your dad but he probably didnt want you to ruin it or dump money into it. He probably thought you would appreciate the solid ride.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:29 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
Okay - I see the sentimental value. I'd clean it up real nice, and think about making that 4.2 run better instead of messing around with an engine and transmission change. A nice exhaust and a programmer with some good tunes will make a difference. Regearing it to 4.10's would improve the feel a lot too. The 4.2 is NOT a bad engine.

Bottom line - an engine change will need a transmission change, possibly a modified driveshaft, and a lot of electrical/electronic work. It will cost you 3 times what the truck is worth and if you don't have the technical skills, it won't work.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:49 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Garrett - You've just gotten sincere, honest, and GOOD advice in the last three posts. If you're still with us, follow those thoughts. What you wanted to do was pie in the sky.

- Jack

Quick Reply: I need dire help!!