Explorer's TMS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Explorer's TMS?

anyone have experience with the Explorer's traction management system? I just can't wrap my head around the SUV to XUV transition, and then putting in a 4wd system that might be like AWD but is definitely like something from a minivan. I'm looking at explorers right now for my DD and am curious.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:16 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
New AWD Explorer?

As far as drive train, it's (transaxle) FWD based, converted to AWD.

As far as traction control and power management programs it's like most any other car on the road, 4 wheel speed sensors, ABS hydraulic control unit, and sophisticated programming

Old 08-25-2016, 08:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's badged as "4wd", and AWD is misleading as it's not putting power to the ground all the time which is awful on tires and fuel mileage. I know it has 4 settings: normal, mud/ruts, sand, snow/gravel. there's gotta be some bullet points on it somewhere. i.e. snow applies power to all four corners as needed, wheelspin is heavily limited. mud applies power to all corners and allows wheels spin. etc. there's also no gear reduction with this system. also has one of the lowest ground clearances in its class. when's the bronco coming back!

Old 08-25-2016, 09:57 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Typically 4wd means it's selectable 2wd or 4wd
Typically AWD means it's not selectable

Quick Reply: Explorer's TMS?