Convert open rear end to LSD - Just swap carriers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 01:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Convert open rear end to LSD - Just swap carriers?

Sorry if this has been covered, but I couldn't find a thread dealing with this situation...

I bought a 2003 4x4 which I believe has a 3.55 open rear end. (The truck is not yet back in my possession so I can't check the tags, but ETIS says this is what it has.)

My blown-motor '99 has a 3.73 LSD rear.

I'd like to know if I can simply swap carriers from the '99 into the '03 and vice-versa, with a minimum of work, or if it's more involved than that. The '99 has 270K on it, and clutches were re-done at about 220K, so I'll likely replace them just because. I'm not sure if the bearings were done at the same time, so those will likely get freshened, as well. Swapping ring gears will be required, but is there anything else I'm missing? Should the gear setup stay the same, or will it need to be re-shimmed/adjusted?

Of course, I'll have the same issue going the other way ('03 open into the '99 rear end).

Given all this, would I be better off to simply save my pennies, and buy a new LSD unit to install down the road?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Old 05-26-2016, 10:46 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I think they will swap out fairly easy. Just check the backlash with a dial indicator on the 03 before disassembling. Leave the pinion undisturbed. Remove the ring gear from the 03 and install it on the 99 carrier. Reinstall the carrier making sure the backlash is the same. Piece of cake. Well, rarely anything is a piece of cake. But, not that bad since you do not disturb the pinion.

Of course, check the backlash on the 99 too and reinstall the ring gear on the 03 carrier making sure the backlash stays the same if you want that one to work afterwards.

Last edited by Roadie; 05-26-2016 at 10:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Convert open rear end to LSD - Just swap carriers?