08 front diff stub axle / output shaft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 front diff stub axle / output shaft?

After a day of searching, asking around at a parts store, and flipping through a seemingly useless chilton manual I'm at my wits end.

Two winters ago I slid into a curb and did some not insignificant damage to the front drivers side suspension; Trashed a wheel, ruined the axle, broke the lower wishbone in two places, and bent the frame brackets for the lower wishbone.

After a few days laying under the truck in the snow, things are mostly right. I replaced my steering shaft a week ago as the ujoints were shot and I was getting some binding. While I was under the truck I noticed that the stub in the front pumpkin had slid out a fair bit. I haven't taken the front diff cover off to peek inside but I suspect there's a clip of some kind in there that's broken or fallen off.

Can someone confirm just what holds the stub that the CV axle boots to inside the pumpkin, if anything? I've seen the kind that just slips on like a jeep YJ c-clip, the bolt-on backplate on the non-c-clip YJs, and the kind that is basically a snap ring in a groove that 'pops up' when the axle is pressed into place.

I'd like to know what kind the truck has so I can get some parts ordered before the snow gets here and I end up needing the 4WD -- I haven't bothered trying it since I discovered this.

I put up a youtube video showing just how bad the issue is; I can pull the stub out of the pumpkin with one finger to the point that the splines completely disengage.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 08 front diff stub axle / output shaft?