Bearing Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 09:45 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Bearing Noise?

My 2002F150Scab4x4 has had what sounds like a bearing noise in the left front. 6k miles ago, 2 years, I heard a bearing noise in the front left and paid the Ford Dealer in Homestead, FL to repair it. They replaced the bearing hub and cured the problem. The noise started again and is pretty loud. I replaced the bearing hub today again and the noise is still there. Turning it to the right the noise is louder and turning to the left makes it go away. After replacing the bearing hub today, I rotated the tires on that side front to rear and it didn't appear to change anything.

It looks to me like there is no bearing in the CV axle that could be roaring. I sort of at a loss now trying to diagnose this noise. Ideas anyone?

I recently replaced the right rear axle and bearing due to a bearing noise. The right side axle bearing surface was pitted. The left side looked good and I didn't replace the axle or bearing on that side. ???

Any knowledge/ideas would be appreciated!

Old 07-31-2015, 01:29 PM
I just rotated the tires on the rear side to side to see if it moved the noise. It didn't. My tires are Michelin Ps with about 43k miles on them. But they are smooth running and wearing flat across the tread. I didn't expect it to be a tire any way but had to check. I supposed next I will pull the left side rear axle and inspect that axle and bearing again. (pulled it about 3 months ago and it was ok) I don't know what else to do. The noise is definitely coming from the left side.

Last edited by Roadie; 09-12-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:46 PM
Okay Guys, I need help from an expert!!!!

I have what sounds like a bearing noise and it is fairly loud. When I turn to the right the noise is louder and when I turn to the left, the noise goes away. The left front bearing hub was replaced 2 years and 6,000 miles ago which quieted the bearing noise at that time. I replace the bearing hub again (with an Autozone Duralast hub) and it made no difference. Then I started doubting that it was indeed coming from the front of the truck. So I pulled the left side axle again (I pulled both axles and replaced the right side axle and bearing to get rid of another bearing noise 2 or 3 months ago.) and the left axle looks good and the bearing doesn't appear to be bad. I rotated the tires front to back on the left side and then side to side on the rear and none of this made any difference.

So, I need some ideas on what this noise could be. Could it be a front differential bearing on the left side? The front axle turns all the time with the 2002 truck I think, but the axle only has CV joints as I understand it and I don't think a CV joint would do this. It would click when in 4x4. I used the truck in 4x4 Sunday in the sand and I didn't hear any CV clicking. You professional mechanics, can you please help me diagnose this noise?

Old 08-08-2015, 09:55 PM
Ok, the plot thickens. The noise may be coming from the tires after all. I can move the front wheels when I push and pull on the front and rear of the tires and I can see the inner tie rod end play on the driver's side. So now the plan is to check all of the steering components and other front end components and replace everything that is worn.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:37 PM
I replaced all four tie rod ends and the idler arm and that had no effect on the noise. I also ordered new lower ball joints and will replace those too. Both have play in them and the right side has lots of play in it. But, that is not causing the noise.

I jacked up the rear of the truck, put it in drive and jammed a 2x4 between the seat and the accelerator to keep the speedometer at about 50mph and crawled under the rear of the truck. I did not hear anything unusual, so I don't think the noise is coming from the rear, maybe.

Next I plan to put jack stands under both ends of the truck, put it in 4x4 and crawl under it again and listen. I'm running out of ideas.

Old 08-22-2015, 06:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bearing Noise?

I would definitely fix the front end so that there is no play in it first and foremost. That may or may not solve the issue you're experiencing, but if you have ball joints going bad then they need to be replaced before something bad happens.
I hate to suggest throwing parts at it, but given what you've already done and until someone with more expertise chimes in, that sounds like the best course of action for now.
After replacing the lower ball joints, you might want to change the front diff lube. Put a magnet in the drain pan to see if there is more metal than there should be.
Have you checked the brakes? Maybe the caliper is freezing up. When you do the ball joints, I would clean and regrease the slides, check the pads for abnormal wear, and make sure the caliper is releasing.
Good luck man, it sounds like you have a pickle on your hands!

Old 08-22-2015, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the post. I'll check the front calipers. I had a problem with the rear freezing up with the brakes overheating and replaced the calipers and all 3 flexible brake hoses. But, the front still has the OE calipers with new brake pads. I have replaced the front hoses too. The problem could have been the master cylinder not releasing the pressure.
I will also put the front and rear on jack stands and run it in 4x4 and crawl underneath to listen.
One video I watched about replacing the LCA ball joints the guy said not to use an impact wrench to tighten the axle nut because you could damage the bearings. I did use an impact to snug it up and them torqued it. So, I don't think I ruined the last bearing hub. The noise did not change at all when I replaced the bearing hub. The plot thickens.

Old 08-22-2015, 05:36 PM
I feel it is in the wheel bearings still. Would not swear to it though.Aset of boinic ears is what you need.Sending unites,several,that go to a control box.Unites clamp to parts on undercarrage,feed to a control box.Each senser has a station on the box controled by buttons/****.Lets you lisen when you drive.I picked up a old style w/wires from sensers to box.New one is wireless.Paid a matco tool man 100.00for it an it came w/ 4 extra sensers.A life saver for noise.Please let us know what you find.mike

Old 08-22-2015, 08:12 PM
That sounds like a neat tool to have.

Since the front left hub only had 6k miles on it when the noise started and I replaced it with no effect on the noise, I'm really doubting it is the bearing hub.

I'll try putting it on 4 jack stands and crawling under it first with the drive train moving. It might need the weight of the truck to make the noise. If I can't figure out where the noise is coming from by doing that, I'll probably take it to the dealer and ask them to try to diagnose it.

It's a backup vehicle so I don't have to have it fixed immediately. I'm retired anyway and have the time to play/learn with it.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:18 PM
I bought an OTC ball joint press from Tool Topia with the Ford fittings to replace the ball joints. I know I could have borrowed one from the auto parts stores but I like to buy tools. It's an addiction! Tool Topia was less expensive than Amazon and the press is stamped Made in the USA. Some reviewers on Amazon said their OTC presses came from China. May have been Chinese counterfeits.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:28 PM
noise issue

Roadie,I know the value of having your own tools;have worked in the collision repair part of it 55 years.there must be some place that would rent something like that near you.I am in n.w. austin;if this is close to you I would be willing to help you .??

Old 08-24-2015, 11:38 AM
Oh yeah, the local Autozone and other stores had the tool for loan with a deposit. Like I said, it's an addiction, buying tools!
I put the truck on 4 jack stands yesterday and ran it in 4x4. It didn't make the roaring noise. The rear of the truck was very quiet. There was more noise from the front wheels area but it didn't sound like the roar. It sounded more like slight brake dragging. And the left front did make a little more noise than the right front. So, it could be that bearing hub that has been changed out twice recently. Or the tires, but I seriously doubt it is the tires. I drove it out on the beach yesterday. On the drive on the highway, the noise seems to be getting louder. That is one way to find out I suppose. Drive it until it is obvious what is causing the problem. I'll figure it out one of these days! ha!
I'm in NC so I'm a long way from your location. Thanks for the offer though.

My wife would probably prefer I bought a new truck. But I love my old F150!

Last edited by Roadie; 08-24-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:22 PM
The diagnosis is complete. The roar is coming from the driver's side bearing hub that I replaced. I drove the truck a few miles and the hub was hot and the other side hub was not hot. I suppose I ruined it by snugging up the axle nut with an impact wrench. That and the fact that it is an Autozone Duralast hub. The stealership installed one 6k miles ago that failed.

I went to the Advance Auto Parts web site to look at a Moog bearing hub, but they had some bad reviews on not lasting very long. So, I went to the rockauto site and ordered a Motorcraft bearing hub. Hopefully it will be a good one.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:46 PM
Bearing Noise?

I hope that works out for you. I know the 04-08's torque spec is 20 ft/lbs, but I'm not sure about an 02 model. It shouldn't be much though.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:58 AM
The 2002 4x4 is a different animal. The bearing hub axle nut is torqued to 221 ft lbs.

Last edited by Roadie; 08-27-2015 at 11:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Bearing Noise?