Front wheel grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front wheel grinding noise

So I've been having trouble with my 4wd on my 09 fx4. About a month ago the 4wd quit engaging so I took it into the dealer and they diagnosed a bad IWE solenoid and bad actuators on both wheels. I get the truck back after having them replaced and the 4wd shifts fine, however I have now started noticing a loud grinding noise under throttle (very bad when pulling a hill or towing) seems to be coming from the passenger side front wheel. I took the truck back in and had the 4wd looked at and they couldn't find anything wrong with the vaccuum system or anything. I'm at a loss. Could it be the wheel hubs causing the grinding? Im almost positive it is a 4wd issue because when I put the truck in 4x4 the noise stops.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:20 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
If they changed a solenoid and both IWE's, you should have a 12 month/12k mile warranty on their work. Take it back and push them a little harder - that grinding is the IWE partially engaging under low vacuum conditions. There is something definitely wrong with the vacuum system and the new IWE is grinding itself up.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:39 PM
Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. If it was the hubs or something going bad I would think it would be making the noise all the time instead of in 4x2 under light throttle

Old 03-26-2015, 03:01 PM
I had an IWE go bad on my 05 after a CV joint replacement...

I bet they installed it incorrectly...if you look at the instructions for installing them it says to pull a vacuum on them during installation...I bet most people miss that one..

FWIW!

Old 03-26-2015, 03:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could be a hole/tear in one of the vacuum lines. I had to replace an IWE and one of the lines on my 06. If i remember correctly the line had been rubbing around the upper control arm.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:26 PM
pull the line off by the Solenoid and do a vac test, see if it holds vac, if not it maybe the cross over vac line is leaking by the rack.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:04 AM
So I took it back to the dealer, this time to a different (and bigger) Ford dealer than the one in my home town. I told them everything that it was doing and it ended up being 2 bad check valves in the IWE system. All is well now thankfully. After much research, I was pretty sure it was the check valves because it was losing vacuum under throttle (which is what the check valves are there for) but I didn't have a vacuum checker and couldn't find one at any of the local parts stores so I figured it would be worth the $50 or so odd bucks to just take it to the stealership.

Quick Reply: Front wheel grinding noise