ELI5: Auto 4x4 modes in F-150 + competitors

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ELI5: Auto 4x4 modes in F-150 + competitors

I'll start by clearing out confusion on ELI5 for any non-reddit readers (which could be a lot!) Explain Like I'm 5 (years old)... heh

So, little background history: leased an F-150 on a 2 year plan with the "plan" of buying it in the end, only to be T-boned to hell 3 months before the end of the lease and having 12000$ worth of repairs... so definitely not buying it anymore...

One thing that sorta bugged us for a while was the lack of Auto 4x4 in the XLT compared to our friends 1500s (Dodge+Chev), which is apparently only available in the Lariat+ from Ford.

With less than 90 days left till I gotta give the keys back, I need some clear cut information on the different Auto 4x4 systems from all parties, if possible...

We have a 2013 XLT SCrew 3.5l Eco and absolutely love it, aside from this tiny lack of auto 4x4... 4H = max 85KM/h, according to the books, and we've lived with that and switch regularly from 2H to 4H depending on weather & roads we're travelling on, and were thinking of possibly getting the Auto 4x4, but not before someone sheds some light, because even after hitting the Chev/Dodge/and even FORD dealerships, there's too much contradicting info on these systems to make a correct decision!

Ford says Auto 4x4, even after 85KM/h is useless, just won't kick in. Chev & Dodge says, sure, our systems will kick in even if going 110km/h on the highway! But then I read up on it more, and apparently everybody is wrong??? So confused...

Yes, we've owned a few AWD vehicles (Subaru+BMW xDrive) and they work as advertised... and the F-150 4H = works as advertised, if the book says max 85KM/h on slippery roads, that's where I use it, and I know it doesn't work the same way as "pure" AWD... detect slip? Engage FWD... if not, stay 2H.

But this Auto 4x4 is a mess to understand:

- In the case of Ford, is having a Lariat+ with the Auto 4x4 = doesn't have the 85km/h limitation? Or does it still have it and just won't engage automagically past 85km/h? (highway scenario in this case)
- In the case of Dodge/Chev; are they completely out to lunch saying that even if 100% of power going to RWD at high speeds, it'll engage FWD if it detects slippage?

Significant other REALLY loves the idea of not having to turn the damn ****... I love the idea, as I'd rather know in advance what kinds of conditions I'll be expecting... crazy snow + crazy cold = 4H and I'll keep the foot off the pedal a wee bit VS auto 4x4, going in a corner and not knowing exactly when the damn truck will engage FWD as well... but in cases of going up a hill from a stop, and super slippage, Auto 4x4 = very interesting.

I see her point of view, but I don't think these auto 4x4 systems help at ALL at high speeds and could actually be worst if they engaged at highway speeds...

Sorry for the wall of text (and pardon my french :P )... but you know your dealerships suck when you need to turn to the internet for direction on how their damn trucks work!!! (that's not entirely true... most internet forums > dealerships... sad really)

Thank you in advance.

Quick Reply: ELI5: Auto 4x4 modes in F-150 + competitors