Detroit truetrac, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 05:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Detroit truetrac, worth it?

Been searching threads and reading up about this, but can't seem to find an exact answer. Is the truetrac going to noticably improve slipping on a 2wd truck in the snow? I know they're about $400+ but one of the shops I spoke with told me 10+ hours in labor. Now we're talking over $1200.

Is that really a normal price? And it seems like a lot to spend if I'll only see minimal gains in traction.

What options do I have? I run a/t tires and have an open rear end. Still sucks. I'm know I can't make my truck a 4wd, but I'm hoping there's something that'll help?

Thanks!

Old 02-06-2015, 12:16 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That's too much. Call up 4wheelparts or another 4x4 shop and get a quote, then take it to your guy. It will help a lot, I wish I could get one for my 4x4

Old 02-07-2015, 04:03 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
$1200 should do front and rear axles on a 4wd. Keep shopping, and travel for the right service. I would guess $700 max, parts purchased and delivered on your own, & service with tax out the door. While I would not want to do a tru-trac strictly for winter traction only, the overall seasonal and environmental traction improvement will be well worth it in the long run if you hold onto it for a few more years.

Not to mention the commentary you will get from the mechanics for having such a mint under body.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd spring for a Tru-trac, but with the rest. $1200 is bonkers.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:13 PM
I'm having a truetrac installed in a week or so, and I'll let you know. Here in the wilds of the Michigan Upper Peninsula we could still have another snowstorm yet this year. We had a couple of inches in the last few days.

The main reason I'm doing it is for the dirt, though, as I tow a bit and having an open diff has proven to be a bigger issue than I imagined when I sold my 4WD and bought my 2WD (2006 XL 4.2 5SP). Let's just say after the 3rd extraction I bought tow hooks to save my suspension components any further yanking.

The quote is $1400 but that's $500 for the trueurac, plus gears, bearings, lube, install, tax, etc. The other quote (from a local shop) was $1700. I'm doing gears because I've swapped from 235/70/17 to 255/75/17 and want to re-gear to what is effectively stock.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I priced it out for my 05. A complete rear end bearing and seal kit plus crush washer elimination kit and a TrueTrac is going to be $900 parts plus $750 install. They aren't cheap....

Sent from my XT1080 using IB AutoGroup

Old 05-19-2015, 06:30 PM
Well, I'm a couple of weeks in now, and the new gears should be broken in. I changed the differential fluid on the weekend and gave the truetrac a try.

The thing definitely works. Put one tire on pavement, and one tire on gravel, let go assertively, and both wheels will spin.

Today I took the truck to a field site (I manage tree plantations) that can be a bit greasy if wet. And it was wet, and lightly snowing (I live in northern Michigan). This was an excellent test as it was the main reason I got the truetrac - for situations just like this. And the result? I was stuck trying to go up a 5% slope, going nowhere fast, but with both rear wheels spinning in the greasy sandy-mud.

The trueurac works very well. I didn't need to tap the brakes or do anything special to get both wheels spinning. If I stuffed rocks under one tire they both kept spinning.

The lesson is that (1) most of the weight is still over the front wheels and (2) those Hankook ATM tires pack nicely with mud and don't throw it even if the trueurac is spinning both wheels.

The truth is that I might have been stuck if I had four wheel drive.

Perhaps it's time for some tires with more tread?

Quick Reply: Detroit truetrac, worth it?