rear tire wobble

Old 10-11-2014, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear tire wobble

hello im I need of some help I have a 2010 f150 with 8.8 355 non limited slip my problem is my left rear tire wobbles and wearing inside of tire the tire acutally leans in at the top neg camber. I caint seem to fiqure out why. ive replaced all axle bearings and seals replaced left rear axle shaft and spyder gears and damn thing still wobbles. could my new ford axle shaft be bent I didn't check it I assumed it would be ok since new from ford. ive been told could be bent axle tube but axle shafts come in and out fine ive rotated tires not bent rim so I am at a loss so any help or advice would be a blessing .
thanks scott

Old 10-11-2014, 11:59 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like a bent or broken axle housing. Is it weeping or leaking around where the flange for the backing plate attaches? Look real close at the weld on the end of the axle. That could explain the lean, but shouldn't cause it to wobble.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:10 AM
thanks for reply but it is not leaking around the flange at all and I have checked the weld numerous times I do not see any indication that its bent or cracked im at a serious loss here and its a real headache going down the road he tire makes noise at low speed and its driving me nuts. when I jack up truck on jack stands and leave tire on with brake and rotor attached its barely noticeable but when I remove everything and mount tire just to axle shaft I see the wobble very pronounced, any ideas

Old 10-14-2014, 01:34 PM
is there anyone that can answer this problem for me.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's a weird one for sure. Why not get a used axle for it? It's a solid rear axle, so the only possible cause of negative camber would be a bent housing - which would be caused by a previous collision of some sort.

Probably not the answer you want to hear after dumping money into your existing one, but that's what it comes down to.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:30 AM
Get new axle shaft in a junkyard and see.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:27 AM
Axle housings are not as strong as most think and not unusual to see one not perfectly straight. If you can get a perfectly flat surface( alignment rack comes to mind) careful measurement should reveal the culprit. Our aligment eguipment will show this during a 4 wheel alignment.I know you can't adjust the rear but 4 wheel alignment shows problems as you describe in addition to making sure all wheels are tracking together after adjustment of the front. Find a GOOD alignment shop with up to date equipment and you won't have to guess and throw parts at it.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:46 PM
Wobble

update
The wobble sis figured out with the hub off and tire mounted to flange the flange has a bevel edge and it ****s wheel making it wobble put on rotor no problem. Measured with run out gauge all is good. Ford says the camber is not uncommon so . My problem is I still have the whirring noise like bad tire upon accel and decel most prounounced between 15-40 mph my ace mechanic and I checked it out he believes I have worn Carrier bearings or pionion bearings or both so guess I will do both soon as I gather parts I hope I can accomplish this I've read many threads think I can. Any ideas or pointers thanks

Old 10-27-2014, 02:03 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
Could you please clarify - the censor **** has me confused as to what you are trying to say.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:42 AM
It tilted the tire as the bevel on the shaft was making tire tilt and run at a wobble that's why when rotor was off had wobble with it on I didn't . I am ordering bearings for carrier and pinion and hope that fixes the noise and whirl ing .thanks scott

Old 03-24-2020, 05:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Left rear tire wobble

Originally Posted by k3capt
It tilted the tire as the bevel on the shaft was making tire tilt and run at a wobble that's why when rotor was off had wobble with it on I didn't . I am ordering bearings for carrier and pinion and hope that fixes the noise and whirl ing .thanks scott
Hello I know this is an old forum.Did you have to replace the stock rotors with aftermarket rotors to get the wobble out? Didn't quite understand.

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-13-2021, 08:37 PM
Same problem

Same problem how was it solved?

Old 06-22-2021, 10:12 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
A wobble is not a lean.
A wobble is not going to be caused by a bent housing, but lean (camber) is.
A wobble is caused by a wheel bent or a bent axle where the mount surface is not exactly 90* to the axle shaft from wheel bearing to carrier end.
A wobble can be caused by a rock or other obstruction between a wheel and the rotor preventing a wheel from proper seating.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rear tire wobble