Shop replaced CV Axle, Now no 4L?

Old 09-21-2014, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shop replaced CV Axle, Now no 4L?

Hello all,

Ive searched the forums and can not seem to find someone who has had a similar issue so here it is. I recently took my truck to the dealership to have a lot of things done including replacing upper & lower ball joints and the passenger side CV axle. Now, my 4WD system worked flawlessly prior to this. While out this weekend at the lake I noticed my truck would not go into 4 wheel low, only 4 wheel hi. Checked for any obvious things like fuses or disconnected wiring underneath. So far I am stumped. Is there anyway that while taking out the upper ball joints or cv axle a mechanic may have tweeked something? I've never experienced an issue with the 4WD system so forgive me for my ignorance.

also, not sure if this helps in process of elimination, but I also had to replace the little shift cable bushing that connects to the tranny (doubt this has anything to do with my problem since it now shifts in each gear as it should, including N), serviced both diffs, transfer case, and tranny prior to taking it to the shop. 4WD worked perfect after I completed all of these.

And on a happier note, I had my original plugs replaced at 170K and none broke!

Guys thank you so much for reading and any help or thoughts would be awesome!

Old 09-22-2014, 11:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not great at this stuff myself, but your 4L should only be a transfer case issue. If you have 4H then you shouldn't have a front axle issue. I would try all the old school methods first. Put the truck in neutral and try to shift into 4L, maybe go in reverse a couple feet and try it again, stuff like that. Did a wire get broken or unplugged at the t-case? Like I said, i know just enough to get myself into trouble but this sounds like a t-case issue with the wiring or something in the switch. Just tryin to help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shop replaced CV Axle, Now no 4L?