Coolant Leak from overflow bottle

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant Leak from overflow bottle

2012 F150 5.0L.
Coolant leak from hose that runs from the bottom of the coolant bottle to the engine block. Ordered hose from Ford and replaced it but still leaks from the 90° fitting that connects the bose to the bottle. I put a leveling kit on it so maybe thinking that since the pitch of the truck has changed that has caused it or possibly a bad cap on the bottle.
Anyone else have this issue?

Old 08-31-2014, 03:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could be cracked. That would be unusual for such a new truck, but it's possible.

Best thing to do is clean up the area really well and let it dry. Then let the engine run and as pressure builds, verify exactly where the leak is and go from there.

I assume you're using the OE clamps and not a worm-style (screw-on) clamp. There's a good reason that most vehicles use self-tensioning clamps from the factory. They will always provide just the right amount of clamping force. A worm-style clamp can crack things if over-tightened, or leak over time as the rubber in the hose compresses and the clamp becomes loose. Just an FYI.

If it turns out to be a cracked overflow tank and you're using there is no evidence of a worm-style clamp being on that hose, should be covered under the powertrain warranty unless you're over 60k miles.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is a stock hose, havent used a worm clamp, it leakes from the top of the hose connector. Purchased a new one from ford and it still leakes. I cam run it. And when i stop and pop the hood and bleed the pressure and it still leakes.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak from overflow bottle