Fuel Pump Driver Module Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pump Driver Module Question

Hey All,
JUst picked up a new fuel pump driver module for $137.76 at the dealer. It came w/the updated monting hardware.
Can I coat the aluminum w/aerosol truck bed liner or could it over heat? There are no cooling fins on it.
Thanks,

Old 02-26-2014, 04:56 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Why don't you return it and buy a Dorman from rockauto.com for about 60 bucks?

I don't think I'd use truck bed liner, but I'd consider painting it.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:05 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 07fx4supercab
Hey All,
JUst picked up a new fuel pump driver module for $137.76 at the dealer. It came w/the updated monting hardware.
Can I coat the aluminum w/aerosol truck bed liner or could it over heat? There are no cooling fins on it.
Thanks,
The backplate is a metal casting. That's the heatsink.

Just give it light coat of Fluid Film and inspect it seasonally when yer doing the spare tire and winch assembly maintenance that everyone does 4 times per year

MGD

Old 03-01-2014, 07:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow! I am glad I found this and the how to.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/el...ontroller.html
I love this forum. Thanks guys. I hope I was able to fix this before it got worse. I cleaned up my fuel pump driver module, wiped it down with a little lubricant and raised it up off the cross member.
Before

Corroded underside

Cleaned underside. I didn't want to pick at it for fear of putting a hole in it.

Reinstalled

Old 03-01-2014, 08:07 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
You better pick up a spare. You can get a Dorman on Amazon for about 60 bucks.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:13 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
You better pick up a spare. You can get a Dorman on Amazon for about 60 bucks.
I'm running it, and it has a plastic body. No worrying about rust here

Old 03-03-2014, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
I'm running it, and it has a plastic body. No worrying about rust here
^^^ Eh?

Sure you got the right one?

It's still a cast metal base ( though it's powder coated )

http://dormanproducts.com/p-48472-590-001.aspx

MGD

Old 03-03-2014, 11:12 AM
Wow,
Dorman shows that being used from '04 to '11.
My wife has an '06 explorer w/the 4.6, are there any other models w/a similar issue? My understanding is that it is only an issue of dissimilar metals corrosion and being located in a harsh environment. Is this true?

Old 03-03-2014, 11:25 AM
Wow,
Dorman shows that being used from '04 to '11.
My wife has an '06 explorer w/the 4.6, are there any other models w/a similar issue? My understanding is that it is only an issue of dissimilar metals corrosion and being located in a harsh environment. Is this true?
Hi.

The cast metal backplate requires no dissimilar metal contact to corrode - simple exposure to road salts and moisture will do that all on it's own. The other contributing factor is the direct contact with the crossmember - spooge gets trapped - further promoting corrosion. Hence the standoffs.

Dorman may powder-coat, but the factory does not. Ergo the use of fluid film.

MGD

Old 03-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Have you used Fluid Film on anything else?
I've been thinking of re-doing my chassis. The new salt they use on the roads is causing orange oxidation. I'm trying to motivate myself to get started with the POR15 system (sanding, metal prep and por15). I don't think the chassis will get much sun so I won't be using any top coat on it. Maybe a rubberized undercoating out of an aerosol can as a final stage.
Any thoughts?

Old 03-03-2014, 01:37 PM
Have you used Fluid Film on anything else?
I've been thinking of re-doing my chassis. The new salt they use on the roads is causing orange oxidation. I'm trying to motivate myself to get started with the POR15 system (sanding, metal prep and por15). I don't think the chassis will get much sun so I won't be using any top coat on it. Maybe a rubberized undercoating out of an aerosol can as a final stage.
Any thoughts?
I use it on everything - chassis, trailer, lawn/yard equipment, etc. Works fer me. Needs periodic inspection/reapplication.

Folks have their preferred methods - this just happens to be mine. The only other feller I hear routinely mentioning this stuff is Truckguy24, in MA.

Difficult to weed out those posts from all the billions of Plasti-Dip threads. You'd think the Vatican was endorsing the stuff

MGD

Old 03-03-2014, 01:54 PM
Thanks MGD,
What do you mean by "periodic"? Once or twice a year? Spray it on everything but your rotors?

Old 03-03-2014, 02:10 PM
Thanks MGD,
What do you mean by "periodic"? Once or twice a year? Spray it on everything but your rotors?
I use it in the spring, as I pressure wash the chassis after our ridiculous winters to dislodge the 500 pounds of sand and other grit that's accumulated. And again in the fall, to ensure I go into the next ridiculous winter with a fresh coat.

Yep - everywhere except the brakes and exhaust. I also shoot it into the little holes in the doors, tailgate, etc. It ain't a lotta fun, but I just buy those disposable full-body alien invasion suits from Princess Auto, and lay down a big tarp and drive over it. Remember to remove the spare. And wear googles or a face shield. And nitride gloves.

You should inspect the FPDM quarterly if possible - the spare & winch & winch lock should be serviced that often anyway IMHO.

MGD

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Driver Module Question