Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Other Powertrain
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 08-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Garage is empty, add now

ratcheting type clicking noise coming from left front wheel

I just started hearing a racheting type clicking noise when I am making a right hand turn but it comes from the left front wheel. Someone had mentioned that it could be the 4wd hub partially engaging? Does that make any sense when it is a vacuum and electric operated 4wd system? Vehicle is a 2007 F150 Lariat Super Crew 5.4l with 3.73 ratios. I have an extended warranty and I only have 47K miles on the truck. It is still also under the basic power train warranty. Would the 4wd system be considered part of the power train? Is this something easy that I can do or does it require special tools that only a dealership would have?

Input is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:44 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2009 Ford F150
Do a search in the 04-08 forum for IWE. You have either a vacuum leak, a bad IWE solenoid, or a bad IWE (Integrated Wheel End). And yest it is part of the powertrain.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Garage is empty, add now

any way to rule out or test the IWE? Is there a way to disconnect the rubber vacuum lines at the hub part?
Old 08-23-2011, 11:35 PM
Garage is empty, add now

To test to see if it is one of the items I mentioned, just put it in 4wd. If the ratcheting stops, it is one of those. Only things to do for testing is check for leaks on the tube from the solenoid with a vacuum gauge to eliminate a vacuum leak. If it holds vacuum, it is either the solenoid or the IWE.
Honestly, since it is under warranty, I would let Ford fix it.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:46 PM
Garage is empty, add now

it does stop the clicking noise when the 4wd is engaged. dealership said that 4wd is probably not covered under the power train but would probably be covered under the ESP that I have.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:17 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Don't know why they said that, it is still part of the powertrain.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:44 AM
Garage is empty, add now

well this is the same dealership that told me that I had a bad lifter on my pass side of my engine when I was having all that tapping / knocking noise who also replaced the pass. side exhaust manifold too. Shame there isnt a closer Ford dealership that I can take it too. The closest one to me I have been "banned" from and not allowed back to since I got into a heated arguement with the President of the dealership since he tried to tell me they only made the Super Crew cab F150s in 2007 with a 3.55 axle ratio. Guess he didn't like to be proved wrong when I showed him proof that they made it with 3.73's. Either that or the complaint I lodged with Ford against him. lol
Old 08-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2010 Ford F150
duckassassin4193
I'd be willing to bet its the actuator (part on hub with the two vacuum nipples). YouTube f150 iwe to get a how to on checking it. Harbor freight has vacuum gauges for 30 bucks.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Clicking from from front wheel

2005 f150 4+4. Just took mine to shop and was the actuator .
Old 04-08-2012, 06:59 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Funny I got this reply today. Turns out my truck is now making the racheting noise on both sides now after Ford had fixed it the last time back in Aug. Im now making an appointment with another Ford dealer other than the one who fixed it the last time since everytime I got it back from them, shortly there after, something else would need to be fixed. I now have found a good Ford dealership although it is a little further away, I trust them. Calling to make the appointment tomorrow.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:56 AM
Garage is empty, add now

They had mine two times also , they replaced speed sensor & hub first , then it still made noise , took it back and it was actuator .
Old 04-09-2012, 10:05 AM
Build Tracking Moderator
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2012 F150 Platinum
You ruled out a small pebble caught between the dust-shield and the rotor.? They some times sound like that
Old 04-09-2012, 11:05 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SETCHAN View Post
You ruled out a small pebble caught between the dust-shield and the rotor.? They some times sound like that
Definitely not a small pebble. The faster you turn, the faster the clicking. The slower you move, the slower the clicking. Plus it does it for either side. Im thinking its the solenoid since it is both sides acting up.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Put in 4wheel and if it stops it is actuator.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Garage is empty, add now

I have the same problem as the op. I just replaced the solenoid about an hour ago and took it for a test drive. Same noise as before. Dammit!! I've been looking around for a couple hours for the next step. I guess the next step is to test the vacuum lines for leaks and whatnot. I think I've used the 4x4 once since 04 and I hate to dump money into something I don't use. I have a bad feeling its the actuator.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:32 PM