4x4 wont disengage after 10 minutes of use

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 wont disengage after 10 minutes of use

Hi I read alot of the threads on here regarding some 4x4 problems but I didnt acually find a problem that was exactly like mine. I have a 1998 ford f150 4.6L with the 4x4 shifter on the floor. My problem is that the front axle will not disengaged after I have engaged the 4x4 and ran it for more then 10 minutes. It will engage and disengage no problem when I first start the truck but it seems like after it gets hot it won t disengage. I exchanged both silenoids on the firewall with the ones off a friends truck that works fine and that didnt fix it.The fork is not bent on the acctuator.If I had a leak somewhere, wouldnt it mal****ion all the time not just after it has been on for a while? Is there a switch under the dash somewhere or a relay?Again when the truck is cold or I just started it and I move the selector lever into the 4high or 4 low position I hear a clicking sound under the dash but after it is hot I do not here that click when I go engage it!

Thanks for your help!

Old 05-12-2010, 10:24 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Does the 4x4 light stay on when it doesn't disengage?

Old 05-14-2010, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 1999 f-150 with the shifter in the floor. my concern is is it acculy the front end or is it just the light not wanting to go off? but check your fuses and relays in the cab and under the hood.

Quick Reply: 4x4 wont disengage after 10 minutes of use