differential, Where is the Leak?

Old 05-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation differential, Where is the Leak?

I noticed a few days ago a weird chatter when making hard rights and hard lefts from a dead stop, So I did some reading and some said low fluid or add a friction modifier.

So today I looked under the truck to see that there is a leak but it appears to be around where the axle tube enters the differential housing?

Are these welded in place or do they have a seal. Is there anything that can be done or is this normal?

I am at 50k should I just top the fluid off or flush it?

Old 05-14-2010, 01:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With 50k, I would drain and refill. Just about get something around where the tubs are. They are not welded, but pinned in. Draining will also allow you to put in the new standard for fluid for the rear, which is 75W140. You might even want to throw 2 bottles of friction modifier in. Doing the drain and refill would be the quickest and cheapest thing to do before worrying about replacing the clutches.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:26 PM
But What about the leak around the axle tube itself do i just ignore it, keep it clean?

Does autozone sell the two fluids or will I need to go to ford?

Old 05-14-2010, 02:19 PM
I would get the modifier from Ford, unless the gear lube you get has it in it. If the leak around the axle tube is just a damp or dark spot (they all have these) and not truly leaking (level not really low before draining), I would not worry about it. If it is leaking, not sure whether it is a repair or a replace.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:30 PM
Their should be a seal there that you would replace. YOu might want to take it to a shop to have this done since it is time consuming.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:23 PM
take the driveshaft loose, take the big nut off..not sure what size about 1" or so, pop the old seal out, put new seal in, but big nut back on, put driveshaft back in.

if the level is low i would put the modifier in, if not take the cover off and put new fluid in, but remember to put the modifier in if you change the fluid.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:28 AM
Well that would be right if it was the pinion seal but he said axle tube. Which what I am geussing is it is the fronts with the cv axles which would mean he would have to remove the cvs first. So maybe we should get a little more info.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:39 AM
hmm..ive never heard a front differential chattering!

Old 05-17-2010, 12:25 PM
No this is the rear axle In my level of confusion of where this leak is, I have left you in the dark of what differential, its the rear, it appears to be leaking around one of the pressed in pins, So I will take it to ford and see if i need a new rear end.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: differential, Where is the Leak?