4H to 2H violent shift in cold weather.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4H to 2H violent shift in cold weather.

I just got my 2016 XLT back from the dealership which found no issues with the 4H back to 2H shift. Last week, when I attempted to shift back to 2H from 4H, it took 5-10 seconds and the shift was violent. I repeated this several times to confirm that there was an issue. I took it to the dealership who were unable to repeat the condition, the only variable that I can see is that it is 40 degrees warmer. Has anyone else experienced this condition? I believe something is sluggish in the cold, shift motor or actuators. Suggestions?
Thanks, Steve

Old 03-16-2022, 11:22 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Chubet
I just got my 2016 XLT back from the dealership which found no issues with the 4H back to 2H shift. Last week, when I attempted to shift back to 2H from 4H, it took 5-10 seconds and the shift was violent. I repeated this several times to confirm that there was an issue. I took it to the dealership who were unable to repeat the condition, the only variable that I can see is that it is 40 degrees warmer. Has anyone else experienced this condition? I believe something is sluggish in the cold, shift motor or actuators. Suggestions?
Thanks, Steve
Hello! Please send a private message to us with your VIN and the name & location of your Ford dealership, along with some more details about your situation. I’d be happy to assist you. Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-11-2022, 11:20 AM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Chubet
Thanks, Steve
Were you on hard surface or pavement when this happened? If so, best to stop asap on hard pavement, back up a few feet even after you switch back to 2wd ... to ease the pressure on the gears that is maybe holding them engaged. I know that it's sliders with dog teeth but the pressure is there. With a manual transmission, you depress the clutch to relieve the pressures before shifting for the same reason.

Quick Reply: 4H to 2H violent shift in cold weather.