Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Other Powertrain
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Old 10-25-2009, 12:06 PM

4 wheel drive problems

i am having a problem engaging my 4x4 on my 1993 ford f-150 xlt. when i push the 4x4 button the light lights up but it does not engage.what should i look for to fix it.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:48 AM

I have a 94 and my 4x4 won't engage but my light won't come on. i was told that you should have a friend push the 4x4 button while you listen if the actuator motor is engaging on the transger case. mine isn't making noise but my switch also isn't lighting up so I think my switch is bad
Old 10-30-2009, 02:33 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Ford F-150
I had a similar problem with my mom's truck... check out this thread, it may help you:

98 Expedition problems
Old 10-30-2009, 03:48 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Ford F150 4x4
You need to find out if the problem is with the transfer case or the front axle.

Put the truck in 4x4, dash light on. Then crawl underneath and see if you can turn the front driveshaft. You shouldn't be able to turn the front shaft. If you can, the problem is t-case related. If you can't turn the shaft, the t-case is engaging correctly and you can move on to the front end.

My guess, since the dash light does come on, is that you have a problem with the locking hubs. Does your truck have automatic or manual hubs? If you have auto hubs and that turns out to be the problem, they can be repaired or replaced, but parts are expensive and they aren't very reliable so your best bet is to switch them out for manual lockouts. If you already have manual hubs, they obviously have to be locked for your 4x4 to work...

Start with the transfer case and go from there. Good luck, let us know what you find.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:15 PM

Ok I will check if the t-case is engaging but my dash light won't even come on so i am wondering if it is in the switch or the actuator motor on the t-case
Old 11-02-2009, 02:15 PM