Mechanical concerns while purchasing a 2020 F150 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2022, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mechanical concerns while purchasing a 2020 F150 4x4

Hi folks.

I’ve been a member for a while, but mostly just a reader. Now I’ve found myself in a situation. First of all, I’ve always had trucks but never a 4x4. My current truck is a 2010 2WD F150 that I’ve put 255,000 miles on with zero problems! It’s been the best truck I’ve ever owned. I’m just ready for something new.

With reliability like that I definitely want another F150 right? Also, this time I want a 4x4. I’ve meticulously researched every option and trim line available and finally narrowed it down. I found exactly what I “thought” I wanted. It’s a 2020 F150 Sport XLT 4x4 with the 5.0 engine and 20’ wheels. It’s a super clean, one owner, local trade (for a new Lighting) with only 27,000 miles, and still under factory warranty. Couldn’t be better right? I agreed to purchase the truck from the Ford dealership under the condition that I have my trusted mechanic look it over after they complete their “highly detailed” multi point Ford inspection. Of course they said it passed with flying colors.

So, I take it to my longtime mechanic. He found a lot in 15min, but first of all he gave me his Ford 4x4 opinion. Apparently Ford 4x4’s are making him a ton of money with all the malfunctions. Unfortunately he said the computerized vacuum system used on the Ford’s front drive has proven to be one of the worst designs he’s ever seen. Otherwise he loves most everything about the F150s. He said the hubs go into 4WD anytime it looses vacuum. So, every time the engine shuts down it engages the 4WD axles. Once the engine is running it creates vacuum again and retracts itself into the normal 2WD status, assuming that’s the selection set on the panel. He said there’s about 4 big ticket items associated with that system and all are common failure items.

Here’s what the mechanic found:
-Stuck in 4WD. I noticed a slight clunk when pressing the brake pedal hard at very low speeds. He lifted the truck so the wheels could rotate freely. He turned the wheels front and backwards recreating sound I’d heard. It’s the normal sound of an engaged axel’s backlash. This is normal when the engine is off but not when it’s running (creating vacuum). He started the engine and sure enough, it never disengages the 4WD. The vacuum lines look great, so he thinks it’s likely a computer module.
-Oil leak: Leaking at the transmission oil cooler.
-Driveshaft: Someone removed the driveshaft and balanced it. He noticed this because a weight had been grounded off. It also has an initial and a number written next to it. There’s no noticeable vibration on the highway, so he’s ok with that situation.
-Steering section: Another initialed and numbered item found written onto the steering assembly under the front of the truck. He thinks this was probably marked in compliance with one of the numerous recalls on this truck.

The Ford dealership offered to cover everything under warranty. Regardless, I’m concerned about quality and future reliability. Thoughts please.. Are these 4x4 trucks really that bad? There’s also no telling how long the truck has been driven with it’s front axles locked in place. It could have been like that since new! Does it hurt anything to run a truck in 4WD for thousands of highway miles?

Really disappointed and hesitant to proceed.

Thanks!

Last edited by Topgum; 09-27-2022 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-27-2022, 06:50 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
He said the hubs go into 4WD anytime it looses vacuum
It's worked like that since 2004. The IWE's (vacuum hubs) aren't that expensive or difficult to replace.

​​​​​​​Does it hurt anything to run a truck in 4WD for thousands of highway miles?
No, as long as the transfer case is in 2wd. It will just burn more gas.

Old 09-27-2022, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks glc for clearing that up. I hope your right about the driving. 80mph on the freeway for thousands of miles just seems a bit harsh on the front wheel drive mechanisms. A friend who works in parts sales told me the design is not a new one, but he thinks they’ve amended the way it’s accomplished, and possibly the components over the years.

Quick Reply: Mechanical concerns while purchasing a 2020 F150 4x4