99 250 Super Duty groaning/screeching front end noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 02:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 250 Super Duty groaning/screeching front end noise

Hi folks, I have a 99 F250 Super Duty 4X4 that is making a heck of a loud groaning/screeching sound from the front end. The sound is really loud and comes and goes. I just replaced the factory worn out hubs with Warn hubs. Any suggestions from anyone? I am stuck in Florida, and I am afraid to drive the truck.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You did not mention if you checked a few of the little things, like the brakes; are they dragging, worn, or damaged?
You did not mention if you've done an inspection on front differential fluid level? is it low? does it have flakes in it when you pull your finger back out, is there a large cake of shavings on the plug?

Have you checked your unit bearings? you were looking at the hub end of them when you replaced the locking hub with warn. lift your front axle and see if you can make lateral movement (rock the top and bottom of tire in and out) with the leverage from the tire.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Any information helps me. I am new to the 4X4 scene and I am really learning alot about how they operate.

The differential fluid was changed about a month ago. I pulled the cover off to see what was going on (no shavings or anything else) with the 4wd because is was jumping in and out of 4wd. Little did I know it was the hubs. Anyway, I was looking at the vacuum lines that go to the front hub, and they are completely dry rotted. I will replace them and see if it helps.

I made it home from Fla this morning after the service guy at the dealership unhooked the vaccuum lines. The truck still made the groaning noise on occasion, but not as bad. What do ya think?

Old 04-13-2010, 09:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have any vibrations, odd bounces or any kind of movements that you can feel going down the road?

I honestly still question the unit bearing right behind those warn hubs.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:49 PM
There is a small vibration in under my feet in the floor panel. It is weird because I can slightly feel when the truck is about to make the groaning noise.

I will check those unit bearings behind the hubs first thing in the morning.

I forgot, there is also a popping sound that will come from under there on occasion while on the HWY. Thanks much!

Quick Reply: 99 250 Super Duty groaning/screeching front end noise