98' 4x4 not working -

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 98' 4x4 not working -

It worked last year, but this year its not engaging the front wheels. It was difficult to shift from 2wH to 4wH so I lubed up the links underneath with WD40 and shifted it back and forth a bit to work it in. It moves easier but still won't engage the front wheels at all and the 4x4 light will not illuminate.

Any suggestions on where to look next would be appreciated. Its the manual 4x4 shift with an automatic transmission.

Just a side note, the 4x4 light does illluminate when the car is turned on, so I do know the light works.

Thanks!

Old 12-22-2008, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm having a simular issue with my 4wd it will worked fine this fall but go figure during this past weekend it wouldnt engage during a snow storm. i have a 99 f-150 auto w/ manual 4x4 shift. while parked in neutral i came out of 2h easily but i could feel grinding as it went into 4h. i felt the 4h shift in. the 4x4 light came on but the truck was not in 4wd and didnt move. the truck acted like it was in neutral in neutral. it shifted back to 2h without a problem. so it looks like my 4wd is now a 2wd till i can figure this out. all the other threads sugest checking vacum lines, fuses and lubebrcating the parts so i'll be doing that. hopefully it was a one time thing and it works ok. but from past experiences ive learned that grinding sounds are very expensive.

Quick Reply: 98' 4x4 not working -