IT'S Snowing ,COLD AND MY LS is acting weird ... GREAT,just what I need... :(

Old 12-10-2008, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy IT'S Snowing ,COLD AND MY LS is acting weird ... GREAT,just what I need... :(

Hi, I got a 97 4.6 F150 4x4 w/AT 265/75/16 tires and the weather got bad and snow was on the roads. I went to town and I noticed the rear pass. side wheel was turning more than normal but I just asumed it was working because i didn't want to think I had a problem. SOO, Today I went to town again and the pavement was wet so I gunned it turning right and the right rear spun like it was an open diff. and soon as the truck settled straight the left rear tire kinda shuttered and acted like it was trying to grab.I did the same thing turning left and the rear just spun both tires and hooked up quickly ,no one tire spun out. At a stand still , gunning the throttle it spun the pass. rear to infinity with a very light left/drivers side shutter...! So I'm up for suggestions... I changed the rear diff. fluid and added ls additave in the fall and put about 2800 miles on the new fluid. All this was done in 2 wheel drive. Should I try new fluid? clutches, more ls additive...

Old 12-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like the LS clutches are worn/wearing out.. Mine is starting to do the same thing too... It's a wear part, so just part of the deal...

Now, even a new LS can still allow one wheel to spin if it's got the power and is unloaded, like doing a right turn, as that's the axle that naturally gets power. Even if you were going straight and you had your right side in the mud or ice and your left side was on pavement, you might still only get power to the right wheel..

One trick you can do and this even works on true OPEN diffs is try to apply just a little bit of emergency brake while the right wheel is spinning and it will sometimes shift some power to the left side and help you out of the mess...

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 12-10-2008, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the pointers! I was afraid that my clutches might be bad .I did a swap from a open Diff to a LS and I inspected the clutches myself,didn't look that bad but I'm not a pro tech either. I got the LS off of FEE-Bay and hoped for the best. I guess I'll look for a new clutch kit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IT'S Snowing ,COLD AND MY LS is acting weird ... GREAT,just what I need... :(