Ignition Problem in steering column 1990 f150 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition Problem in steering column 1990 f150 4x4

I have taken out the igntion key cylinder and replaced it and it was not the problem. Now im puzzled and not sure what it is. The cylinder will turn the igntion on but it will not start the truck. Its like its not catching something in the steering column. Any help is much appreciated.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your actual ignition switch is a few inches forward of the cylinder you replaced. The two are connected by what is called an actuator rod. It is very common for this actuator rod to break. But it could possibly be the switch itself. You need to remove the two halves of plastic cowling from around the steering column to investigate. To remove the cowling there are some screws, screwed in from the bottom side. For better step by step instructions, I suggest a Haynes repair manual. I figure the Haynes manual saves me the twenty dollars it cost in frustation every time I use it.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can the acuator rod be replaced? Or do i have to get a new steering column?

Old 12-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigblue24
Can the acuator rod be replaced? Or do i have to get a new steering column?
Yes, the actuator rod can be replaced. There would be no need to get a new steering column for just a broken actuator rod. Your Ford dealer should have the actuator rod on hand, maybe around ten dollars. Replacing the actuator rod can be a little tricky and time consuming, but you can do it if you're used to doing a little mechanic work.

Quick Reply: Ignition Problem in steering column 1990 f150 4x4