4x4 engaged at 55-65 mph need help!!!

Old 11-23-2008, 08:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 4x4 engaged at 55-65 mph need help!!!

Driving home from riding quads today my truck made a loud clunk sound when I was slowing down to come to a stop light. I was not on the brakes, I just let off the gas. I heard the sound at about 45-50. My friend and I just thought I hit something in the road. So I kept driving and was cruising about 55-65 again and came up on another stop light. The truck did not make the sound but when I got down to about thirty you could hear a ratcheting sound coming from the rear end. You could hear this all the way to a stop. So I parked in sonic to investigate and when I was sitting in the parking lot the light finally came on so I had been driving in 4x4 the whole time. I took it back out to 2 wheel drive and started driving. when coming to a stop around thirty you could still here the ratcheting sound. its hard to describe the sounds when typing I guess it would be more of a clinking sound that would repeat as you were driving. When you got slower the clinking would slow down with the truck. But anyway so I put it back in 4x4 and it went in and then back to two wheel drive and it clicked out like it normally would and I tried going in reverse about 50 feet to make sure everything disengaged.
HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM? If so please help any advise would be awesome. I am hoping nothing serious is wrong.
Thanks Doug.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MSOF or ESOF transfer case?

Old 11-24-2008, 01:17 PM
esof

Old 11-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Suspended
I once drove in 4x4 for a few miles...heard the same clunking sound. For some goofy *** reason, I thought I was adjusting the A/C. It was a brain fart retard moment. Nothing serious happened. I would not do anything unless you start having issues.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:36 PM
I am going to try to better describe the sound when you start slowing down to come to a stop around thirty you here the clunking sound over and over. as the truck slows the sound slows then you come to a stop. the 4x4 engages in and out just fine. this is to anyone with the esof t-case and the 9.75 rear end with lsd, have you had it in 4x4 low or high on pavement and tried to turn in a circle? I have done this before way in the past, and going around in the circle the truck has a hard time doing it and you can hear the rear tires skip and slip on the pavement. So I tried doing that today to see if anything was diff. When I did it the truck had a really hard time harder than normal. There is also a very faint whine. Sounds like its coming from the t-case and the clunking sound like its from the rear diff. So the sounds are still there and I am afraid to drive it. I would rather fix whats causing the sound rather than just let it continue and end up making it worse.
thanks for the advise!

Last edited by formuladriver01; 11-24-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:40 PM
Suspended
Um yeah, you are gonna get a clunking sound when you leave it in 4x4 on pavement. Its SUPPOSED to do that. Take it out of 4x4 and quit doing circles while it is engaged. If you hear the same noises while out of 4x4, then you have problems. Using 4x4 when not driving on slick surfaces or sand, mud ect..is NOT recommended. If you have frequently driven while in 4x4 on dry pavement, then more than likely, you screwed something up, and you will get to learn an expensive lesson.

Last edited by Shinesintx; 11-24-2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:44 PM
your def right when its engaged, but the clunking sound does it in or out of 4x4 and in a straight line or circles. I dont drive down the road at 65 mph in 4x4 I know not to do that. somehow I hit the switch or something hit it. the little 4x4 light was not on and the ruck was not driving any dif. so I had no clue it was trying to engage. I really want to know where I should start looking the diff or t-case?

Last edited by formuladriver01; 11-24-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:53 PM
sounds like something happened to your vacuum while you were driving. default position of the hubs is "engaged" (as to not leave you stranded). Something happened and it tried to engage itself. You did the right thing. This is fairly common. You could take apart your front hub to check it out, see how it looks.

The whine, is a safe bet on the power steering system. With out hearing it, it is hard to be certain.

the clunking.... could be your LS wearing out. How many miles are on your truck ? It could be the clutches wearing thin, and allowing some slippage.

(and yes, never use 4x4 on dry pavement. Its not meant for perfect traction conditions.)

Old 11-24-2008, 01:58 PM
I plan on putting gears in the rear end so I will get a master install kit and clutch kit for the ls and go from there. As for the hubs I really dont know what I am looking for.
thanks again for the advise.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Suspended
I have no clue. I only know not to do it. Although I accidentally did it once... You may have some serious issues if there are sounds while not in 4x4.

I called my brother in law, by driving in 4x4 you could have exacerbated a problem within your transfer case.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:13 PM
I don't think its the t-case. Generally, the weaker parts go first. ON a IFS truck, there are plenty of "weaker" parts before the t-case. They are pretty tough little units.

The hubs... well, if you have installed a lift before, its the part you take out of your old knuckles, and install into the new beefy ones. If not... then I can't help ya. But if its not trying to engage anymore, and if you do engage, and it works, then I wouldn't worry about it.

A rear rebuild will be a good chance to see whats goin on inside there. Hopefully its nothing for ya though. Also check your e-brake.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:15 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
I don't think its the t-case. Generally, the weaker parts go first. ON a IFS truck, there are plenty of "weaker" parts before the t-case. They are pretty tough little units.

The hubs... well, if you have installed a lift before, its the part you take out of your old knuckles, and install into the new beefy ones. If not... then I can't help ya. But if its not trying to engage anymore, and if you do engage, and it works, then I wouldn't worry about it.

A rear rebuild will be a good chance to see whats goin on inside there. Hopefully its nothing for ya though. Also check your e-brake.
I cannot argue with...My Brother in Law is not the best of Mechanics....

Old 11-24-2008, 02:26 PM
again thanks for the info. I am going to look into it this weekend and keep you guys informed

Old 11-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by Shinesintx
I cannot argue with...My Brother in Law is not the best of Mechanics....
Ay, not saying it "can't be". Just saying I would start looking elsewhere.

Originally Posted by formuladriver01
again thanks for the info. I am going to look into it this weekend and keep you guys informed

definately let us know whatcha find out.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by formuladriver01
I plan on putting gears in the rear end so I will get a master install kit and clutch kit for the ls and go from there. As for the hubs I really dont know what I am looking for.
thanks again for the advise.
Can't help with your issue, but noticed this post. Might be an obvious thing, but remember with 4WD, you'll have to change the gearing in the front end, as well.

When re-packing the rear diff L/S, there's an alternate stacking order for the clutches which will gain some grip. Let me know if you need the info.

Good luck with the fix.

EDIT: HERE is a great rear-diff rebuild write-up on Corral.net. Mustang specific, but the rear ends are the same. Only variation would be regarding the S-Spring... in the truck, you'd not want to leave it out.

Andy

Last edited by OhioLariat; 11-24-2008 at 06:49 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4x4 engaged at 55-65 mph need help!!!