IWE problem or not???need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation IWE problem or not???need help

I have a 2007 F150 FX4 supercrew. Had a problem last spring that everyone would agree was the IWE solenoid. Dealer replaced under warranty with new "revised" IWE solenoid. After about 3 months give or take, same problem. Again the dealer replaced under warranty. This was around the end of August, begining of Sept. Now it started making the ratcheting noise again. Sometimes it will stop if i "flip" the 4x4 selector switch to 4hi and back to 2hi. Other times i have to put it in 4hi and drive with it like that for a while, switching back too soon results in ratcheting noise. Why is my truck "eating" IWE solenoids, dealer has been unable to find what is causing it other than the last time it was in. The tech had a DCT for an electrical short, but was unable to actually find a short. He replaced the IWE solenoid and it has been fine until today (approximately 2 to 2 1/2 months) since last repair. I know many have had this problem, how many have had it multiple times???? What did you find the cause to be and how did you correct it. Any help would be great. I am scheduled to take it to the dealer for service tomorrow (Thursday 11/13/08) AGAIN. Could really use some help and tips...

Anyone think the "short" could be something in the ECM (trucks computer), selector switch, switching motor on the transfer case.....something, ?anything???
You can respond here or email me directly at acidsurfr@yahoo.com.
THANKS IN ADVANCE
Jim

additional side note: have leveling kit installed for over almost 1 1/2 years now, but problem just started last spring, and have the 5.4.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Hard to believe that this post has been up for almost 36 hours with 20 views and no opinions or input. Losing faith in the forum. Never had any posts or questions that weren't commented on within a few hours, let alone a day and a half. Come on, you guys are my peers, and the one's i look up to when i am researching. I also try to help others on here when i have experience in there needs.
Needless to say, due to delays at work today, i was unable to get the truck to the dealer and i am now going to be taking it in Friday morning and have an appointment to meet with the mechanic that worked on it last as well as the head of the service department to try and determine "what" is causing the IWE solenoids to go on my truck so many times in 6 month time......they will also be opening up the IEW's themselves to inspect any damaged that may have occurred to them or in them after going through 3 solenoids.

I'll try to keep everyone updated as well as post anything that is found and determined when i am notified by the service department.

Last edited by acidsurfr; 11-13-2008 at 07:25 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 11-14-2008, 02:42 PM
K, just received call from the dealership and this time they actually found a vacuum leak. New vacuum line is on order and i should have the truck back either Monday or Tuesday. Apparently when the leveling kit was installed, the vacuum line shifted on the passanger side of the engine compartment and was rubbing on the exhaust manifold. This caused a pinhole size leak that previously was not found because the line would hit the manifold causing the "hole" to either open or melt shut causing an intermiten problem. We shall see when i get it back if the problem returns for a 5th time.

added note: The dealership is covering this under the factory warranty even though i installed leveling spacers which almost certainly caused the initial problem. So if you are having the same problem..have the vacuum line inspected on the passanger side of the engine compartment to make sure yours is not hitting the manifold as well.

Quick Reply: IWE problem or not???need help