NEWB NEEDS HELP plz...9" rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEWB NEEDS HELP plz...9" rear end?

Hey guys id first like to say its great to be part of the f150 forum. i have a 2001 SCrew prerunner. It has the 4.6 and the rear end gave out the other day. It is a brand new rear end but they screwed up building it. My question is how much work is it to swap it to a ford 9"? I have a 9" in the garage and was wanting to maybe just swap it into it. I have hookups through work for any parts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx BRADKASH

Old 10-18-2008, 06:14 PM
If it was brand new and it blew out, considering you used the term "they" when referring to who did the work, wouldn't the parts be under some sort of warranty? I would go complain to the people that put the gears in first.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:51 PM
yea the only problem is i bought the truck from a guy up in california and he is the one that had the rear end done. i am going to try to get ahold of him to see who did it.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:23 PM
No ABS hook-up on the 9 inch.......so no, it won't work. And even if it would, there's really no advantage over the 8.8 in your truck.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:52 AM
yea i forgot about all the abs stuff. Thx

Old 10-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Delux
No ABS hook-up on the 9 inch.......so no, it won't work. And even if it would, there's really no advantage over the 8.8 in your truck.
Going to have to call BS here. Have you ever built a 9" rear end ? You can make them bullet proof (practically) and couldn't even hold the jock of a 8.8". Trust me, 9" could be one of the best rear end ever made. Period. Lots of the rock crawlers, rock racers, dune racers, etc etc etc use this rear end. It is well know, with a GREAT reputation. Its friggin gold !!

As for ABS, there are things that can be done. Its the braking system that needs abs, not the axles or ring and pinion, so it is fairly easy. Currie offers a 9" swap. Has everything on it. I am sure you could place the order for a direct swap. This one I foudn today, did the currie 9" swap
http://flickr.com/photos/darrius/set...7604491380604/

You will most likely need a custom driveshaft. One thats made for the 9", but will still work with your application. You will need to shave down the rear end, and weld in new spring perches to the width of our trucks. You will need to most likely make/have made custom leaf perches. After that, weld on some custom shock mounts, and get all the plumbing done up, you should be good to go. Rear end swaps are really not all that hard or involved.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:46 PM
yea i agree mercedes... i actually had the 9" for a v8 s10 i had but i sold it so i figured i might as well use the rear end. and i want it wider then stock because i have the huge flared fenders. as for the drive line and perches.... i know the guy that owns the local driveline and rear end shop so im not too worried about it. i think i might just slowly work on the 9" and swap it out. as far as the abs... my front abs sensor is broken so as of right now i dont even have abs. thanks for the info mercedestech

Old 10-21-2008, 11:52 AM
No problem bud. Just like seeing different one off things. On this site, for some reason, there are a lot of haters of fabricating. Everyone bashes someone who wants to do a SAS and says just buy a SD. They just don't get it.

Anyways, like I said, 9" = beef. Build it up right. If your not in a hurry, spend the time and money to go chromo inside. Get a good solid diff and be set. If your buddy owns or works at a rear end shop, I am sure he can help ya with the abs system. As for abs, I hate it anyways ! overrated.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
No problem bud. Just like seeing different one off things. On this site, for some reason, there are a lot of haters of fabricating. Everyone bashes someone who wants to do a SAS and says just buy a SD. They just don't get it.

Anyways, like I said, 9" = beef. Build it up right. If your not in a hurry, spend the time and money to go chromo inside. Get a good solid diff and be set. If your buddy owns or works at a rear end shop, I am sure he can help ya with the abs system. As for abs, I hate it anyways ! overrated.
ABS offroad can be downright dangerous so yeah I have the same opinion. The 9" is a great axle, can be built to be dang near bombproof. You can run 35 spline shafts in them with the right carrier. And the part that I LOVE about them is the drop out center section! I bought mine for 200 bucks with 5.14's and a full spool already installed. Can't beat that kind of price! I have even done homemade disk brake conversion on mine for less then 50 bucks. Wonderful axles...when/if I ever build a full on buggy I very well may run 609 hybrids (9" center, d60 outers) for steering.

And when it comes to building...it rocks! No manufacture would build a truck that has all of the parts that you may want. You may want a front axle from a ford, then a rear from a gm, then a custom x-fer case, oh yeah lets bolt up this different tranny since it has a better 1st gear etc etc etc etc.

Also gives you a reason to spend the weekend in the garage when the wife is being a pain LOL

Last edited by Code; 10-21-2008 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:26 PM
^^ amen brother. I have seen some beef 9" rollin around on the trails. Handlin some 39.5" meats with ease. Doesn't the Spider 9 axle use the 9" ?? Best axles on the market IMO.

Like you said, building your own, and mixing and matching to create your OWN creation, well, thats the end all be all IMO. Nothin better then getting a comliment on something YOU built, or out performing your buddies bought rigs, with somethin ya built.

Speakin of 1st gear, you see the new F150 trans comes with a 4something:1 1st gear ??

Lastly, go get the new Haulin or Crawlin 5 dvd. Just got mine, its BAD !!!

Old 10-21-2008, 04:18 PM
haha yea its nice knowing that you built it.. im only 17 so as far as the wife thing idk yet haha. well i got the rear end for free so i have money to put into it and still come out good on the price.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:36 PM
What kind of 9" did you get? There are many types from cars, trucks etc which have different lengths, spline counts, and overall strength. I will be running (in the explorer now) a 78 big bearing 31 spline 9" from a full size bronco. The early broncos's have 28 spline axles, etc. There are different center sections, N (nodular), CAW, WAR, etc. That's all kind of moot if you want to build it up.

Good info:
http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm

From what i've discovered while building mine...mainly brakes. Mine is pretty stock, not going to upgrade the stock shafts till I pop them
Disk Brake conversion:

explorer disk brakes, also the curie disk brake setup.
I've done alot of reasearch and have yet to find a 9" which this will actually bolt onto without mods. Search around and you'll people who say if you have a big bearing 9" this will bolt on. Well...I have a big bearing 9" and there's no way in hell it'll fit stock. Not saying that there's not a 9" out there where this won't bolt up to but i've not found it.

Custom brackets and GM calipers. This is by far the easiest conversion. About the only problem is that the parking brake is built into the caliper...not as reliable as an internal brake setup but still works. I'm running oldsmobile bravada calipers...no parking brakes at all, i'll be using line locks but I won't be using them as traditional parking brakes.

I have a set of d70 outers sitting on the shelf for a possible full floating conversion in the future...would be pretty cool and nice stronger. Also would like to do a truss sometime as well.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:25 PM
^^ i'd suggest workin on that truss before headin out. They can be built simple and easy (as im sure ya know) and it beats having to find a new housing !! Just something I'd do. tell me to fawk off if ya want !

Old 10-21-2008, 09:34 PM
Probably will....would be sweet to incorporate the shock mounts into it...hmmm

Oh yeah...fawk off

Quick Reply: NEWB NEEDS HELP plz...9" rear end?