Conversion from no hubs to manual hubs?

Old 09-15-2008, 12:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Conversion from no hubs to manual hubs?

I have a 97 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/4.6
It has the shift on the floor system with no hubs, manual or auto.
Is there a conversion kit to make this into a manual hub system. I think eliminating the front axles and R&P turning all the time could make a big difference in MPG and power etc. Is there such a kit available?
Thanks...Rustypig

Old 10-02-2008, 12:34 AM
Question Bump...must assume...

Well, I suppose that from the number of views, and no posts, that there is no way to convert this 97 F150 to a manual or auto hubs system. I've been debating on selling it and going to a 5.4 or back to a Chev. The 4.6 just doesn't seem to have the ummph to warrant driving the smaller v-8 with the poor mileage it gets. I'd like to keep her, but it's already got a K&N, with dual after market exhaust, and feels like it could barely pull a sick hooker off a bar stool, especially at highway speeds in 5th gear (always shifting down). Its only got 115K and has been maintained fairly meticulously so if I'm missing something let me know.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
never seen this thread, but i have never found a hub conversion for the 97-03 models. as far as the IFS systems go im not aware of one that has a selectable / disengagement hub

Old 10-02-2008, 09:54 AM
Hmm...I never noticed this one either. Strange, I just replied to the same (I think) question for another guy up in the tranny forum this morning too.

I'm not aware of any manual hub conversions for the 97-03 IFS Fords either.

The ring-n-pinion shouldn't be turning if your front axle is unlocking properly...just the half-shafts and the spider gears inside the gear carrier. This won't make that much difference in power/mileage if you could trim that out of the equation.

Fill your axles with a good synthetic gear lube and call it good.

How is your truck geared and what size tires do you run? Most 4.6s that I've seen have pretty tall gears for the tires they're running...if you regear lower, you'll see more bottom end torque applied to the road.

You could always SAS the truck too. Then you could run your choice of axle and lockout.

Last edited by Bindernut; 10-02-2008 at 09:57 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Conversion from no hubs to manual hubs?