clunk from d to r

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clunk from d to r

I dont know if this is normal but when i go from reverse to drive or d to R there are 2 good clunks there seems to be alot of play in the trasfer case. havent been driving this truck very long any help would be appreciated

97 150

Old 09-09-2008, 03:55 PM
well theres 168000 miles on it, theres gotta be someone else with this problem ive driven newer ones that dont have the play like this one. its bad enough to where I have to give a few seconds before i let off the brake ...

Old 09-09-2008, 05:52 PM
With 168k on it, yeah it's possible that the transfer case chain has quite a bit of slop in it, but the noise could be coming from elsewhere under the truck too.

Does it happen only in 4wd or in 2wd as well? If in both 2wd and 4wd, I'd check the u-joints on the rear driveshaft. If only in 4wd, I'd check the front driveshaft u-joints and also how much slack is in the transfer case. Typically you'll only have one clunk when switching directions, so it's possible that you've got two or more items that are worn out too.

Crawl under the truck and give all the u-joints a good "wiggle test". Also, with the front & rear wheels in the air (the truck on jackstands or a hoist) and the truck in 4wd. See how much play you've got between the front and rear driveshafts where they exit the transfer case. Anything more than 1/8 turn or so and I'd say that's getting to be excessive slack.

I'd suspect and check/replace the u-joints first though.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:19 PM
when in 4wd its not bad just in 2wd and the u joints are good

Quick Reply: clunk from d to r