HELP!!! Wheel Bearing?!?! Bad Sound! Alot Of Wheel Movement!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!!! Wheel Bearing?!?! Bad Sound! Alot Of Wheel Movement!!

I need some help! 2000 f150xlt, 4.6 4x4, 148,xxx miles...

I noticed yesterday a bad sound from the driverside front wheel! It JUST started yesterday, I noticed the wheel was tilted inward at the top MORE than usual! So we lifted the front of the truck up and the wheel moved about a inch if we push on the top and pull it out! There is ALOT of play there. If we push or pull from the top or bottom of the wheel will lean in about an inch and if we pull the top of the wheel outward it is perfectly straight like it should be!

What do you think this is?!?! Wheel bearing?!?! If so how do I replace it?

THE WHOLE wheel and brake disk move, but not the knuckle! The cv shaft moves too so im assuming its a bad bearing! Are there 2 bearings? Just one? Im assuming both of them are bad now if there is 2..

What would cause this suddenly? I did not hit any curbs, potholes yesterday, nothing.. But I DOUBT they have EVER been changed!! 148,XXX miles on my truck

I would like to try and fix this today! Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks!
Kellen

Old 08-31-2008, 11:34 AM
One contributing factor MAY BE! In the winter I put the truck into the ditch out on one of the gravel roads in the country and when I went over and landed 2ft down in a empty field that front tire hit first and I will tell you it took a HARD! hit. Before I got out of the truck I thought it took the whole wheel off when it hit, so that may have helped lead to this?????

Old 08-31-2008, 12:21 PM
Ok so I called around and was told I need to REPLACE the WHOLE Hub Assembly!!! Is this correct??

Old 08-31-2008, 12:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rcfreak24
Ok so I called around and was told I need to REPLACE the WHOLE Hub Assembly!!! Is this correct??
generally speaking yes, i havent found a bearing only replacement, it was a complete hub and bearing.

are you sure your balljoints are ok? check those too

Old 08-31-2008, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by Klitch
generally speaking yes, i havent found a bearing only replacement, it was a complete hub and bearing.

are you sure your balljoints are ok? check those too
I can check again but when we had the front end off the ground, the knuckle didnt move at all, the rotor and everything, even the cv shaft threough the knuckle moved while the knuckle stayed in place. Its weird, and it just started! But that wheel has always been messed up since I put the truck through the ditch and in a field because it was slightly tiltled inward at the top causing my tire to wear unevenly and I had to get new tires because the tread was worn off on the bottom inner side of the tire because the wheel was tilted inward a little..

153 and 209 for hub assembly's I called and one place has them in stock I think I might go get one...

Old 08-31-2008, 01:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah they arent too cheap, but well worth it in your case. if your hub is able to extend that far the only thing holding it in place is the cv?

Old 08-31-2008, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by Klitch
yeah they arent too cheap, but well worth it in your case. if your hub is able to extend that far the only thing holding it in place is the cv?

Good question.. I dont know for sure I just bought a new one so ill take pictures later

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Wheel Bearing?!?! Bad Sound! Alot Of Wheel Movement!!