2003 F150 4x4 Drive shaft (rear)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 F150 4x4 Drive shaft (rear)

Have a question about the drive shaft. The yok that slides onto the out put shaft of the transmission, should the inner part of the yok have some grease on it or is it a dry fit.????

Old 08-15-2008, 09:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got a pic? Sounds like grease from the ujoint.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Dry or greased

Originally Posted by 2003cougar
Have a question about the drive shaft. The yok that slides onto the out put shaft of the transmission, should the inner part of the yok have some grease on it or is it a dry fit.????
I should have been more spacific. My out put shaft and inner yok is dry, should it have some kind of lubricant on it????

Old 08-16-2008, 08:58 AM
Isn't that the slip yoke that's got a TSB about it causing a "clunk", or am I misunderstanding? That problem is supposed to be solved by using some grease on the splines.

That said, I've always used a light coating of lithium grease on slip yokes. Same stuff that I use in suspension parts and u-joints.

-----------------------------------------------------
FORD: 1998-2004 F-150

ISSUE:
Some 1998-2004 F-150 4X4 vehicles with a one piece drive shaft may exhibit a clunking or grunting noise and/or a shudder sensation from the driveline. The condition will typically occur during light to moderate acceleration from a stop and/or braking. This may be caused by the slip yoke not sliding smoothly on the transfer case output shaft splines.

ACTION:
To service, lubricate the slip yoke with Teflon Grease (D2AZ-19590-A). Refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
Road test the vehicle to verify the condition.
Remove the driveshaft per Section 205-01 of the Workshop Manual.
NOTE: INDEX (MARK) THE DRIVESHAFT YOKE TO AXLE FLANGE FOR REASSEMBLY.

Lubricate the slip yoke with 7-13 grams (0.25-0.46 oz.) of Teflon Grease (D2AZ-19590-A).
Re-index and reinstall the driveshaft per Workshop Manual.
Check the transfer case fluid level and add MERCON Automatic Transmission Fluid XT-2-QDX if necessary.
Road test to verify the condition is corrected.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
D2AZ-19590-A Teflon Grease

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
040106A Lubricate The Slip Yoke With Teflon Grease Vehicles With One-Piece Driveshaft (Includes Time To Remove And Install Driveshaft) 1.0 Hr.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:04 AM
They have a special grease, not regular lithium.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:43 PM
when you take the slip yoke out of the transfer case will it loose fluid, and does the transfer case and transmision share the same fluid/dipstick

Old 08-16-2008, 04:14 PM
No they don't. Transmission is via the dip stick, TC is like a diff. It has a plug. Also different fluids.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
They have a special grease, not regular lithium.
Yep, the TSB I quoted in my post has the part number for that grease.

I've been using the same chassis grease on slip-joints on all of my vehicles since I started wrenching on them...that's what I used on my 97 too since I hadn't even heard of that TSB until I was reading some posts on the net when digging up info for my dead tranny a little while back. That has worked for me for years (and I'll probably keep using the same since I've always got it in the shop). Just put that in as what I've used...any grease is better than a dry joint.

But since Ford has a part number listed above then their recommended grease is probably the best to use.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by dirtrider596979
when you take the slip yoke out of the transfer case will it loose fluid, and does the transfer case and transmision share the same fluid/dipstick
As kingfish said, no, the TC and tranny don't share fluid. UNLESS the seals between the transmission and TC are bad...then the TC will eventually fill up to the same level as the tranny pan (which is way overful on the cases that Ford is using these days).

Normally, the rear output shaft on the transfer case is above the fluid level inside it...that's why the 4x4s suffer from that dry joint clunking. You won't lose any fluid out of the TC when you drop the driveshaft.

A 2wd, with the slip-yoke going right into the tranny, will get some lubrication at that joint from the tranny fluid but on most 4x4 transfer cases the fluid level is nowhere near the output shaft location so they can run dry if you don't grease em. Personally, I don't have faith in ATF being a good enough lubricant for the slipyoke...I grease the splines on my 2wds too.

Last edited by Bindernut; 08-16-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:58 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The oil level is just below the lip to allow the slip yoke to soak in oil to lube the bushing that it slides in. If it was dry the bushing would score the slip yoke. The seal on my t-case is loose and leaks so when I pull the slip yoke out of the t-case oil drips. I cannot remember it it ever did that when it was new.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Quick Reply: 2003 F150 4x4 Drive shaft (rear)