Are all late 90's 8.8 F-150 axles the same?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are all late 90's 8.8 F-150 axles the same?

The reason I ask is my 98 XL 3.55 LS is all worn , not only bearings but i am afraid there is way to much play in the mesh of the splines into the spider gears.I am hoping I could just grab a better set of axle shafts..The bearing surfaces are really bad as well.

I am having a hard time coming up withe my exact combo(complete rear)at local boneyards..
So if it happens that I have to rebiuld , I am hoping i can at least get the spiders and axles from a donor 8.8"
I know of another "same gen" f-150 in the yard now, just the wrong ratio.
Maybe I could use those parts???(spiders and axle shafts)

Thanks a bunch
This board has helped me put in my 4.6 , do a heater core install..guys have been great , hopefully i can square away this toasted rear end..
Chris P.

Last edited by we287gn; 07-21-2008 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Try to paint a better picture
Old 07-22-2008, 04:44 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The spider gears, called differential pinion gears, are what walk around the side gears to allow one wheel to turn faster than the other. The side gears are what have the splines for the axles to fit into. You are saying that the splines are too loose? Have you opened it up to visually check the play in the splines?

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 07-22-2008, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi JMC ,
thanks for the response..
I have pulled the axles and the diff gears.
The side gears are worn more than the splines on the axles , but together its pretty sloppy, the gear side has almost lost its peak or point..i would guess(eyeball micrometer) there is at least .060" or better of back lash, (well maybe that is an extreme est, but is is enoguh to call very sloppy)if we can call it that..with the wheel on, its pretty significant...but the wear doesnt stop there, the bearing surfaces on the axle has about a .040" or deeper spot in it from the roller bearing. pinion has slop in it as well, all gear surfaces are very shiny, although the ring and pinion arent has bad, as the diff gears....
I did manage to find one rear out of a 96 v6 4x4 they claim it has 3.55's but we shall see tomorow when they yank it from the ground..i do not think it is limited slip though

I have only been inside a couple of rear ends , but this has got to be the worst for wear i have seen..the only thing that seems to be tight are the carrier bearings, clutches and steels dont look bad either..

thanks a bunch for your time
Chris

Last edited by we287gn; 07-22-2008 at 08:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Are all late 90's 8.8 F-150 axles the same?