Old 07-18-2008, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pulling someone out

so I was wondering do you have more power pulling someone out in reverse
Or drive?

Old 07-18-2008, 07:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do you drive automatic or manual

also I would asume that auto or manual that if you put it in first gear ( and also if you have 4x4 then put it in 4 low) that would get the most power out of it but that is just me

Old 07-18-2008, 08:18 PM

You generally do not want to pull somebody out in reverse, the reverse gear is tall as hell anyhow so in terms of power it wouldnt be suited either. Nevermind it's a good way to damage the tranny.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
reverse you would have a lower gear ratio, which means more torque.
But like Josiah said its a good way to break the tranny.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:39 PM
If more torque would mean you would brake the trans wouldnt that mean you would not want to use 4x4 low

Old 07-18-2008, 08:40 PM
I always thought reverse was more powerful and then I got to think about it and decided you would probably over rev and bam no tranny, it would be interesting to see. And ya 4 low kicks ***!

Old 07-19-2008, 12:42 PM
I love 4 low just suck I cant go over thirty well maybe it is 25 mph I cant remember

Old 07-19-2008, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by Stephen87
I love 4 low just suck I cant go over thirty well maybe it is 25 mph I cant remember
why would you wanna go that fast in 4-low?

Old 07-19-2008, 01:39 PM
Scott unlike most he is trying To get as bad as gas mileage as possible, that's kinda like the one guy who was pissed his tranny went while going 30 and kicking it into first, just other ppls weird driving techniques I guess

Old 07-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Suspended
For light pulls using reverse is fine but for anything serious always pull going forward.

The reverse gear is not a lower gear ratio, you have the mechanical advantage pulling forward. The weight will shift to the side you are pulling from and a solid rear axle will deal with the power of 4low much better than the CV's can take the strain.

The tailgate will also deal with a broken strap much better than the grill will, I say this from experience.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:53 PM
I've never had to pull anyone out yet but if I were to pull them out going forward, how would I go about doing that. Where would you attach a strap, rope, or chain to pull going forward? Seems like the front tow hooks are alot easier to use.

Old 07-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by ZEEKA
I've never had to pull anyone out yet but if I were to pull them out going forward, how would I go about doing that. Where would you attach a strap, rope, or chain to pull going forward? Seems like the front tow hooks are alot easier to use.
http://www.fjcruiseraccessory.com/fj...er-d-ring.html

Use a D ring that attaches to your rear hitch. Use a tow strap rated for atleast 20k and use the lowest gearing possible. Go straight into 4low as it will give you better throttle control and place less stress on the torque converter. Never use a chain because if they do break they will cause large amounts of damage and can harm people. Place a wet towel over the strap to absorb the energy if it does break and to keep it from damaging your truck.

Pull the rope taught then have the stuck person spin the tires slowly while you give your truck more and more throttle. You only want to use enough power to get them out. If you cant get traction you may have to "******" the person. Usually giving the strap just enough slack to touch the ground then lightly bumping a stuck vehicle will be enough to move it a bit then you can get back into the throttle to keep the momentum.

I have recovered hundreds of trucks and I have learned use just enough power to get the job done as too much breaks straps, bends hooks and just tears up both vehicles

Old 07-19-2008, 06:28 PM
You definitly get better traction pulling from the rear. Think about it, the motor in the front and little weight in the rear.....The pulling actually settling more weight in the rear give four better balanced tires the chance to grab.
4 low is also a wise to save strain on parts before the transfercase, like your engine and tranny. Also if your truck starts to hop, back off of the gas pedal, as the hops are good for breaking the driveshafts and axles if left go for too long. The tow hooks are good for getting pulled out, but no so good for doing the pulling.

Quick Reply: pulling someone out