detroit EZ locker? is that what i want??

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
detroit EZ locker? is that what i want??

hey guys

i'm looking to get a locker in replacement of my failing clutch packs in the Limited slip. I was on 4wheelparts.com and they had a detroit EZ locker for the FORD 8.8. I'm pretty sure thats what i've got. (98 F150 4wd 3.55ls) Anyway, i plan on changing my gears at the same time to 4.56's to help move the tires i plan on purchasing. Does that sound look a good combo? and where else do you suggest purchasing a locker from or what other brands.

thanks for your help
John

Old 05-27-2008, 04:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Delta17
hey guys

i'm looking to get a locker in replacement of my failing clutch packs in the Limited slip. I was on 4wheelparts.com and they had a detroit EZ locker for the FORD 8.8. I'm pretty sure thats what i've got. (98 F150 4wd 3.55ls) Anyway, i plan on changing my gears at the same time to 4.56's to help move the tires i plan on purchasing. Does that sound look a good combo? and where else do you suggest purchasing a locker from or what other brands.

thanks for your help
John
For your rear, if you have the 5.4 V8, you have a 9.75. Front diff is always 8.8.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:08 PM
i wish i had a 5.4, but sadly no its the 4.6

Old 05-28-2008, 01:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
detroit ez locker? whered you get that one from? lol
i run a full on detroit/eaton locker with no spin, fully mechanical locker. i love it. i have 40k on my tires and they have plenty of tread left, for now, until i start lighting em up more and more.

btw, did u mean to say eaton/detroit e-locker?

Old 05-28-2008, 08:14 AM
heres the link to what i found - check it out and see if thats what i should be buying.

http://www.4wheelonline.com/Products...ProductID=1872

it dosent sound like it though now

Old 05-28-2008, 09:49 AM
you do not want a detroit ez locker. they are junk.

If you are going to go with a lunchbox style locker go with a Lockright or a Powertrax no-slip. these are the cheapest locker options as they repalce only the spiders not the whole case/carrier. both of these offer a locker to replace your spiders and clutches in the trac lok. i don't believe EZ locker does you would have to have an open carrier anyway.

i have installed EZ lockers just to have customers come back and say take it out. I actually gave one away yesterday to a guy.

Detroit full lockers are a good choice if you are not going to be breaking shafts. when a shaft breaks a detroit breaks and they are expensive to fix. If you don't do any hard core 4wheeling i would just have the trac-lok rebuilt.

my .02 cents

Old 05-28-2008, 11:00 AM
HI ECGS,

I dont do any hardcore 4 wheeling at all, but i thought a locker would be nice for just a little fun, plus it seemed cheaper than having my l/s rebuilt. On my previous truck, just to have the l/s rebuilt was like $750 (spider gears and clutches all replace) So after that, i thought why not just have a locker put in when i have my gears installed. Do you prefer the lock right to the power trax no slip? or vice versa?

thanks for you input though, sounds like i will not be needing a true locker like a detroit.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:40 PM
delta, i have run the in carrier style locker like that. it did NOT handle any abuse and chirped the tires like hell. that style of locker is a botched idea, its too weak. i had roughly 165k on my truck when i put the powertraxx unit in, about 10k later it showed its weakness. i romped on it on asphalt and it was done, heard a bang then grinding. it warped enough it would not lock up even under idle pressures. i think i threw it away finally but i'd take more pics to show what i mean. the "teeth" would not mesh anymore.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:23 PM
hmmm,

klitch thanks for your help and experience with them. after hearing what you said i wonder if i should just get the factory limited slip rebuilt. It just seems so expensive compared to buying a locker and getting something way more practicle and fun. I'll have to do some searching on online sites for the best price of a true locker then perhaps.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:11 PM
here stop for a second, if your ok with a limited slip, why dont you look at the eaton tru-trac? helical gears, no wearing parts like the disc's for the same price as rebuilding yours.

i went with a locker because i didnt want any hiccups back there when it came down to the nitty gritty off the road. the detroit locker with no-spin is very versatile. it isnt eating my tires, its not locked up unless im giving her some go. but at the same time off the beaten path it does a great job of pushing the truck along.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:34 PM
Your original OEM rear is a Ford 8.8 with a Ford Trac-Lok limited slip inside. The Eaton Posi unit is completely different, and the parts are not interchangeable.

If it's traction you desire, go with the TruTrac. You'll never look back. Its operation is seamless (which is more than can be said about most lockers) and they last virtually forever.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:42 PM
Carrier style lockers are not weak they are only as strong as the case containing them though. I have customers running lockrights with LS1's and 42 inch tires. I do not have much expierence w/ the powertrax in anything but your basic daily drivers, no need to spend the extra money if your looking for a cheap way to lock an axle and i have not seen any problems w/ those since the early version a updated version has been out for some time. And im not sure if they all had it but i know the CHry 9.25 had issues earlyon as i had some problems with a few, but they were just outright broke. if the teeth were not sheared i would not see how you would have had disengagement issues the nature of the steel used is so hard that they will crack or break before warping usually, not to mention the crosh shaft keeping the tolerances in check. did you put a straight edge on it what spec was it out.

the eaton true trac is a good unit, and so is the detroit they are better than the carrier style locker unless your breaking stuff, if your breaking stuff carrier style lockers are king b/c of there ease of change outs on the trail. and there low cost allows a spare to be carried among the group if need be.

for non hardocre i would say the Detroit no- spin or the true trac based on if you want a full locker or something less harsh.

you got way overcharged for $750 for just rebuilding a factory LS . $300 would be the max amount that should be charged for a factory unit rebuild.

If you need anything check out our site www.eastcoastgearsupply.com if you don't see what your looking for give me a shout.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:24 PM
if you feel the in open carrier style is stronger than it is, explain why my setup grenaded it? powertraxx or not, its damn near the same as every other model out there.

97 4.6, 8.8 with 4.88 ratio on 35" tires. A) the motors old and made crap for power, B) thats a very deep ratio for the tires.

if i need to get nitty gritty with it i can spec it out to see what part distorted and how much. im being vague when saying the cog teeth would only mesh in one position, but thats detailed enough to hint theres a failure.

my other problem with your logic on the ease of replacement on the trail. i would opt for having a stronger unit to NOT fail on me out on the trail. plus for me, i've ripped the rear of my truck apart so many times, i have all the necessary shims and crush sleeves on hand. only once was because of a lunchbox locker failure.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:59 AM
when you say grenaded that makes me think that everything broke into little pieces this is not what happened was it? Ease of replacement on the trail, one can pull cover, pull one shaft and install lockright. that is alot easier than replacing a full carrier in the dirt. The case lunchbox lockers do wear out pins springs ect. and the teeth after much much use. but they are not weak, if anything it is going to explode. The carrier is going to bust in half or the crossshaft in my expierence.

powertrax' are not the same they are designed to be more friendly ie unlock easier quieter.

You won't need a crush sleeve to replace a carrier, there may be stronger units but they are just as vulnerable to damage, if you run a detroit and you break a chromoly shaft the detroit implods and your day is done. spools are king but you can't steer. If you drive 6-8 hours to go wheeling and your **** blows up your pissed especialy when its is a $600 dollar locker.

you break a shaft in a lockright you install a new shaaft and keep going. if locker breaks you slap in a new one and keep going.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:21 AM
apparantly we have different views caused by different experiences.

im not happy with the lunchbox because it failed under street / very mild offroad operation with a tired 4.6 running deep differential ratios

i prefer a unit that will withstand what i throw at it, not one that gets bent out of shape because i made it do something.

explain why the detroit would implode from a broken shaft?

crush sleeve was mentioned if there was R&P failure.

as far as doing the work out in the dirt, it dont matter because in any situation i highly doubt your going to have either R&P or carrier, or spare lunchbox locker on hand OR one close by to put it in the same day.

Quick Reply: detroit EZ locker? is that what i want??